3C Air Heater Connection help

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
BigTel
Flag: Wales

3C Air Heater Connection help

Post #1 by BigTel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:48 pm

Hello. I have a 3C which is really difficult to start when it gets a little cold.

I have found(I think)the air intake heater, but it has no electrical connection to it. Can anyone tell me if there should be a wire to it,and where it should come from? (See photo)

2017-12-28 09.57.26.jpg

I also wanted to add that the electrical connection is also missing from this air intake 'item' - I am not sure what this is.?

2017-12-28 11.26.46.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Re: 3C Air Heater Connection help

Post #2 by topkit » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi it,s been awhile since i had a 3C but from what i can remember there should be a pipe from the heater i would think it must go to the pilot. The connection on the air filter would be to warn you if it is blocked. I am not sure but if you go into the download manuals on this forum you may find a 3C manual, i will have a look and see if i have a handbook here which may confirm what i have said. Which model and year of 3C have you a mk2 or mk3

I may have to correct myself that part that is sticking out probably goes to the start pilot if your machine is still fitted with one, it is fittet to the left of the dash it has a flip cap on the top of it and then you have a seperate plunger although i never had to use it on my old machine if you have a decent large battery that will turn it over quickly then it should start easily. You can buy an aftermarket heater kit from Agriline it may be worth trying one, i was thinking about my old massey 40 with a 3 cyl perkins that would start 1st time in any weather after i sorted its heater plug out.
Last edited by topkit on Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
BigTel
Flag: Wales

Post #3 by BigTel » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:23 pm

I think it's a Mk2, I have no idea on the year.?

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by agrimax » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:16 am

No heater plug on this machine.As Topkit says,that fitting on the intake manifold had a pipe connected to the start pilot on the dash.If you remove it and drill out the hole and tap it to,I think 7/8 UNC or it might be UNF.....I can't remember,you can screw in a CAV type thermostart. Tee into the leak off pipes on the top of the injectors to give a supply of fuel to the new heater and run a heavy fused power supply through a push button switch. Job done.
BTW,just check on the bottom of the injector pump in case there is a cold start device fitted. A little toggle that would have had a cable fitted and running to the inside of the cab. Some machines had this but it may have been the later MK 3s.

PS,Just also check on the inlet manifold in case there is already another hole with a blanking plug screwed in.If so this would probably accept a heater plug without any drilling/tapping.........

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”