Ford 550 Output Shaft Bearing Retainer

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Dustin_86
Flag: United States of America

Ford 550 Output Shaft Bearing Retainer

Post #1 by Dustin_86 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:00 am

Guys,

I just purchased a '76 Ford 550 TLB. The gasket in between the rear end and transmission was pretty much gone. So we have pulled the unit apart to replace and decided to replace the Output Shaft seal and gasket while we were in there. I have removed the 4 bolts from the ratainer but it will not come off. I am afraid of hurting the sleeve and shaft so i am trying to be real gentle with it but still trying to pull it off. Is there something I am missing? Do I have to remove the shift forks and shaft first? I cant find anything online about it, and the manual just talks about the four bolts.

Hopefully one of you guys can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: Ford 550 Output Shaft Bearing Retainer

Post #2 by FOWLER MAN » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:24 pm

Hi Dustin,
If my memory serves me right there is nothing other than the four bolts holding the bearing housing in the back of the gear box and it should prize out for you to replace the seal.
There is no gasket in there, but there are shims to preload the taper bearings on the shaft. Be sure to put them back exactly as you find them.
If the bearing /seal housing is that tight maybe someone used Locktite or similar when it was fitted. If so a little "gentle" heat may help to break the bond.

Good luck.
Fred

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”