Hydraulic tank cap filter - JCB 214

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
br2an
Flag: Canada

Hydraulic tank cap filter - JCB 214

Post #1 by br2an » Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:19 am

Hi,
I own a well-used 2001 JCB 214 backhoe (called a 3CX everywhere else). The service manual indicates the hydraulic tank filler cap be replaced every 2000 hours because there is a filter in the cap.

I have no idea if or when it was last replaced, is there any way to tell if the filter is plugged? What are the symptoms when it becomes plugged?

Finally, can it be cleaned? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

kipme
Flag: Netherlands

Re: Hydraulic tank cap filter - JCB 214

Post #2 by kipme » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:04 pm

I would just replace it I geuss. what will this cost?

If the pump goes down because of cavitation it will be more expensive...

Topic author
br2an

Post #3 by br2an » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:40 am

Cost is about $60, not too bad by backhoe standards. And you're right, I should buy one for peace of mind.

I just find it strange that with all of the JCB backhoes around the world no one here can share a story about some person who never replaced his hydraulic cap and ??? happened.

Does everyone here (3CX owners) actually replace the filler cap at 2000 hour intervals?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:32 am

br2an wrote:Cost is about $60, not too bad by backhoe standards. And you're right, I should buy one for peace of mind.

I just find it strange that with all of the JCB backhoes around the world no one here can share a story about some person who never replaced his hydraulic cap and ??? happened.

Does everyone here (3CX owners) actually replace the filler cap at 2000 hour intervals?

Brian I would be very surprised if anybody replaces the filler cap at all let alone every 2000 hours; it never ceases to amaze me how most manufacturers try to rip people off by suggesting that certain items need replacing in this manor, if you followed every manufactures workshop manual to the letter you'd end up replacing most of the machine over its life time and the machine would spend more time being maintained than being used. This applies to all machines not just construction equipment; from CNC lathes to motorcycles, to cars, vacuum cleaners you name it.

Apart from the cost and trouble to actually carry out many of these tasks the manufacturers forget that most people are too lazy to be bothered changing things unless they give grief; however the manufacturers are keen as ever to make more money out of the user where ever possible, just my thoughts on the matter.

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:19 pm

Hi,
Just a thought.
Like all breather filters it breathes in as the level in the reservoir drops and out when the oil level rises again.
By this token anything caught in the filter when breathing in should expelled when it breathes out. :think: :thumbup:
You could almost say "Self Cleaning" :?: :?: Should last for ever :lol: :lol:
Fred

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #6 by FOWLER MAN » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:38 am

FOWLER MAN wrote:Hi,
Just a thought.
Like all breather filters it breathes in as the level in the reservoir drops and out when the oil level rises again.
By this token anything caught in the filter when breathing in should expelled when it breathes out. :think: :thumbup:
You could almost say "Self Cleaning" :?: :?: Should last for ever :lol: :lol:
Fred

P.S. Another thought. :think:
I forgot to say. :oops:
The breather / breather cap often incorporates a valve to maintain a pressure in the hydraulic tank, ( Usually just 3 or 4 Lbs ), to help prevent ingress of dust etc.
Fred

Topic author
br2an

Post #7 by br2an » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Still hoping to hear of at least one person who DIDN'T change their hydraulic cap and ran into some kind of trouble or symptoms of trouble, then I could see the point in replacing it. At this point no-one seems to want to admit that they have ever changed one so I think I will follow the herd and leave it alone.

My next trip into the dealer I will ask if they can explain what the negative effects of not replacing are. Will post if I discover anything new.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”