JCB BACKHOE
MODEL 3C MK2
YEAR ?

JCB MACHINE NUMBER - 3C 107213
TRACTOR SERIAL NUMBER - 384B 186049
ENGINE SERIAL NUMBER 18110
ENGINE 4/98 NT
MANUAL TRANSMISSION

Any one have any info on what the skid unit that JCB used for the 3C MK2 machines?
is it the same as another tractor? say a Nuffield or Leyland?

trying to find out this info so i can source rear end parts easyer alone with engine parts.

cheers, dan

essexpete

Re: JCB 3C MK2 SKID UNIT IDENTIFICATION

Post #2 by essexpete » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:41 pm

Will be a Leyland tractor skid . The Mk 11 ran fro the very late 60s to about 1977 or thereabouts. Have you a white or yellow cab? One of the proper experts may give you an exact date.
Apparently the Leyland castings have codes that give date of casting as well. That will be a number (day of month ) a letter (A= Jan) and a number (year in the decade).

Topic author
Hurricanedan123
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by Hurricanedan123 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:42 pm

anyone have any idea what model leyland tractor i could be lookiing at?

yes she has the white cab on it.

the last owner thought this was a 1977.

ill look into some casting numbers and see what i can dig up.

thanks for the info so far

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:08 pm

I think it would probably be a skid similar to the 270 with 5x2 fwd gears and about 70bhp.

Perhaps the Leyland tractor forum can help you?

Topic author
Hurricanedan123
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by Hurricanedan123 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:15 am

sweet, ill have alook into it.
thanks for the help

super6954
Flag: Canada

Post #6 by super6954 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:57 am

Hi It's been more years and good memorys of a well respected JCB operator and mechanic friend back in the U.K that sadly died, since I was in a JCB 3c MK 2 or 3 10 speed gearbox and axle than I want to talk about :cry: . He would of known all your answers in a minute and helped me lots with JCB's and parts back then :) . if you asked the stuff appeared from the shadows of his workshop after some banging around and swearing :lol:

I seem to remember the final drive and/possibly the diff ratio's, Then the first and reverse gears are different for a JCB. Also a standard tractor has differential lock, but the diggers don't. I think the diff gear carrier casting was heavier duty in some if not all 3c MK 2 or 3's than a standard tractor to. Now for some of the gear parts that are different I don't know if the parts came from other Leyland tractors. Or if they are all special to JCB, so you got to be careful :!: . I had a 3C MK 3 that had been made of more tractor parts in the gearbox and axle than a Digger, to "fix it cheap" somewhere it was way different speeds . It was faster on the road if you dared go that fast :o , and 1st reverse was faster, it was hopeless for dirt work but nice for loading stock piled grain from the barn into trailers :thumbup: .

If yours still has the Leyland 4/98 type motor that the plate says or an earlier 38 Type replacement in it, the parts should be available from motor rebuild shops parts catalogs , or agricultural parts dealers selling parts from companys like Sparex, Vapormatic, Bepco, or maybe in AU I think a company called Bareco. The motor model and serial number is stamped on the block on a pad somewhere near the head I think right hand top above starter motor, I'd have to go look at my current machine to confirm it.It's a non turbo some later motors in tractors/trucks had a turbo so you need non turbo engine parts as pistons and stuff could vary .

Your tractor serial number starts with 384 there is a Leyland 384 tractor so thats probably what you have parts of under your digger :idea:,
I think on a 384 tractor I had once that number is stamped on the left top of the frame rail somewhere along by the oil filter and motor back plate . it may be nearer to early 70's for age I don't know when the 384 ended and the later 270 tractor came out. I'm sure my 72 MK2 had the 4/98, it had the inline injector pump I do know. The later 4/98s had a rotary instead like is in my current 3D mk3 powertrain machine.
I've been in Canada 17 years and that work was a few years before that . so sorry if i'm a bit sketchy on what the different parts are exactly ;) :) .
Regards Robert

essexpete

Post #7 by essexpete » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 pm

It really needs someone who knows the numbers. I think the 384 was a late 60s early 70s model and I thought fitted with the older 3.8 engine.
JCB did not fit diff lock I assume to avoid '' operator error'' . The early MK11 had a slightly different front axle arrangement to the later models.

super6954
Flag: Canada

Post #8 by super6954 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:15 pm

The Leyland 384 and 270 followed in production so the 38 series motor was in them or the 4/98 could be in the very last few 384s on the production change when they stopped using the old motor. It happens like that quite often with tractors and things, where the newer model is not a complete new design. Even JD have some of one and a bit of other model tractors out there on production changes .

I'm thinking you mean the placement of the steering ram for the front axle. The ones with the ram from the frame rail to the axle were a real bundle of fun to keep straight on the road when new from what guys said.when the axle components get worn and poor maintenance, they just got to be even more fun to keep straight when the axle flops around pulling the ram . I had one like it that was just nasty until it was rebuilt. The mk 3 style axle with the ram parallel is way better if looked after.

I've seen the heavy jcb diff carrier split in half so i'd say JCB tested and found out the tractor one wasn't strong enough to hold the extra load who ever drove it with a diff lock fitted. Around 7 ton of iron in low gear in a pile of dirt thats not moving very easy's, gonna break something thats not strong enough in the first place, county had those issues on the 954 tractors and updated stuff in the next models..

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”