jcb filter ?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
manonamission
Flag: Philippines

jcb filter ?

Post #1 by manonamission » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:41 pm

Hello

I recently acquired this poor old thing. I do not know what model it is. I do know it has a Fordson Super or Power major under it, I will get a photo of the whole machine and post it later , maybe someone can give me some advice in that regard.

Does anyone know if there is a filter in the horizontal tube with the big nut on top of this filter? I have read that there should be a gauze filter in or on the side of the hydraulic tank. There is not one on the tank so I am wondering if it has a gauze tube inside the above tube?

thanks
Max

Jeremy Rowland

Re: jcb filter ?

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:40 am

Hi Max and welcome to CMN :wave: I am sure somebody on here should be able to help you.

Jeremy

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:52 pm

Hello Max. That "horizontal tube" is your hydraulic filter housing. A paper element filter is contained in there. I'm more familiar with mk2 machines but I'm pretty sure there is a metal strainer on the underside of the digger, on the opposite side to what you've pictured.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:45 pm

Surely there is a big filter in the big vertical cylinder?

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #5 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:12 pm

Yup that's where the paper element filter is.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi Max.I would think it is a JCB 3C(MK 1) you have. The bit you are talking about on top of the filter housing is likely the same idea as the MK 2 and 3 models and contains a plunger and spring behind the big nut. A bypass valve. The ''vertical'' canister below the valve housing contains the paper return filter as the other guys have said....

Topic author
manonamission

Post #7 by manonamission » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:07 am

Hello
Thank you for all the info. Having never owned a digger before , It is nice to have some experienced advice. I was almost sure that the big vertical bucket contained the paper filter,seems that is correct. I will get that off and changed. I am waiting for a socket to arrive for removal of that. I have searched for a gauze filter on or near the tank, I can't find one, It has a drain plug on each side of the chassis rails and that is all. This is why I was thinking that maybe the strainer/gauze was in the horizontal tube on top of the paper filter container.
At the moment everything works, but it has no guts in the hydraulics, I am hoping that changing the filter will at least improve it.
I have learned fast, that everything with a digger is either big, heavy, tight, rusted or costs a minimum of a hundred quid lol.

I will get some more photos next week (it is not kept where I live )

Thanks again
Max

agrimax

Post #8 by agrimax » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:30 am

I'm not familiar with that model,but have a look up underneath the step on the left hand side. There might be a flat plate with a drain plug. If there is,there's likely a suction strainer above that plate. Or if you can follow the bigger pipe from the suction side of the main hydraulic pump to where it attaches to the oil tank,there should likely be an inspection plate nearby with a strainer behind it.

Topic author
manonamission

Post #9 by manonamission » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:34 am

Hello
I will have another search for the elusive strainer. Three of us have looked for it with no success. I will do as you suggest and follow the suction side and see if is there. I will report back, probably next week now .

Thank you
Max

Scooby

Post #10 by Scooby » Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:44 pm

It looks as if there isn't a cab on the machine. But does it have the remains of a doorway and some steps on the n/s ? If it does it's probably a 3C. If there isn't anything there then it's probably a 3. Almost certainly a Super Major skid unit.
Six up front .............................means plenty of grunt.

Image Image

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”