JCB 3cmk3 Ford engine ?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
super6954
Flag: Canada

JCB 3cmk3 Ford engine ?

Post #1 by super6954 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:53 am

Hi Guys
I've been lurking for a while enjoying reading and looking at what you have all been up to with the jcb Backhoes :) .
I'll do more of an intro in another post where I'll tell you more about me and introduce my early build 5 export spec 3D3 I picked up here in Canada :).
My question relates to a youtube discussion with Kurt ( Lord muck) when he introduced his 3c3 he just purchased, and going back to the time I lived in wales before coming to Canada.
Back in the late 80's to maybe early 90's when I was in school and just getting real interested in fixing stuff as a career, I used to visit the mechanic and owner of the local tractor dealer and walk into the workshop regularly. One day there was what I believe to be a 3c mk3 sitting in there. on talking with the mechanic he said it had the rare Ford engine instead of the 4/98, I never saw the engine that day or the machine again after :( .

Does anybody know anything about these 3c Mk3 machines with a ford engine, Kurt talked about the old fordsons that we already know of and a MK2 somebody converted he had seen. I seem to remember reading about these MK3's before but can't remember where It could of been it was so long ago and I read alot :dizzy: .
Also my old U.K Bepco parts book lists a clutch for a mk3 with a Ford 956 engine (That didn't come up in a google search) and the BMC/Leyland. Kurts thought is another one off conversion, or an export. I'm wondering if it maybe had to do with a strike at leyland sometime in 3c3 production. Or was it maybe part of the test program when they used the 3c3 for the test bed for the 3cx drive line, before they decided on using Perkins engines in the later 3cx's.
Any info or pictures of one would be a real help solve this little mystery one way or the other :)
Thanks, Robert

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: JCB 3cmk3 Ford engine ?

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:46 am

Welcome to forum Rob

I know very little about JCB they have never been real big in Australia

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:18 am

My guess would be a one of conversion as well. I wonder which type/Family of Ford engine? It might have been converted following a major problem due to preference or availability? JCB had a kind of falling out with Ford in the 60s and I cannot believe they would have gone down the Ford route at that time.

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Incidentally if any of you are interested Lord Muck's video clips have some info on plant and machinery. Some may need an interpreter helif you wunt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uepB3BDOnvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpWtl3yoWVw

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”