Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Soulman
Flag: Ireland

JCB 1988 3CX Half Shaft Removal

Post #1 by Soulman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:00 pm

Hi All

My machine is a 8 stud back axle

There is one of the rear axle oil seal leaking on my machine. Can see oil on the inner side of the rear Tyre.

Is it possible to remove the half shaft without having to remove the whole back axle?

Can the half shaft nut be accessed via the differential back cover?

Anyone who has undertaken this job on a 3CX, i would be interested to know how they approached the job

Thanks
Bill

Land Rover

Re: JCB 1988 3CX Half Shaft Removal

Post #2 by Land Rover » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:02 pm

Alright Bill , I had exactly the same thing , however there was also play in the wheel bearings .
The staked nut at the end of the shaft is not accessible even with the diff pan off or from the brake pots .
I did this job on my own without any help , although the wife brought me a couple of cups of tea ....

Jack the machine up with the jacks and then jam sections of wood in between the jack feet and the crossmember , I cut lengths of railway sleeper to do this .
Disconnect the shaft and brakes , take the wheels off , drop the oil , brake lines off , prop shaft off and tied up out the way . Put a trolley jack under the diff , if you have any rope , straps or anything else it would be an idea to use them to keep the axle from just rolling off the trolley jack when it's being lowered , mine rolled off the jack the instant I started lowering it . Cut or unbolt the 4 big bolts that hold the axle on .Get it down and skidded out . I used the back actor , but when it's on a sheet of ply etc , it moves no bother at all .

You will then need to split the trumpets from the diff . This is pretty straight forward . You will need a gasket for the trumpet and a gasket for the brake pot - although I did see my brake pot had been instant gasketed before and seemed ok . The oil seal is probably best with a bit of instant gasket type stuff on it as well ( on the outside only obviously )
Assembly is a bit tricky , I did mine on a sheet of plywood . Get the trumpet up to the right height and angle and use a come along or just a big lever to move it together , there are big dowels on the faces and it's pretty easy , just looks too big to even think about ! . The axle I had to raise up with a chain pull - I put a bar between the cab step and rear crossmember and hung the chainpull off that , I just raised the axle a bit at a time and chocked it with wood every so often .I had the job done in about two days rolling about outside and that included buffing and painting the rear wheels . It's a big job , but really it's straight forward enough .

I got all the bits next day from Viacry Plant , including brake discs , gaskets , seals and 4 wheel bearings .

Topic author
Soulman
Flag: Ireland

Re: JCB 1988 3CX Half Shaft Removal

Post #3 by Soulman » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:26 pm

mine is not leaking enough yet to warrant removal i think. i'll just keep an eye on the gear oil level in the axle. thanks for the detailed info

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”