3C Mark III Will not start up.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Re: 3C Mark III Will not start up.

Post #41 by FOWLER MAN » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Hi Mick,

As I said I do think you would be wiser to whip the pump off and get it sorted first as last.
Your pump will already be timed to your engine. There will be a mark on the pump flange which lines up with a mark or pointer on the timing case. See red line in the picture below.
If you are refitting the same pump all you have to do is turn the pump to line up the marks. If either mark is missing make your own before disturbing anything so you can return the pump to the same spot, a small sharp chisel is an ideal tool for the job.
The Quill shaft which connects the pump to the pump drive has a master spline on both ends so it's impossible to go wrong when putting the pump back on. There really is nothing complicated about it.
There is a procedure which I have described on here somewhere for timing non original pump to an engine without the special timing tools, but that's another story.
P.S.
If you want to find that post it's headed "TIMING CAV DPA PUMPS" It's near the bottom of the first page when the search comes up.
Fred

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #42 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:35 pm

If I was going to get the pump done up I would make sure the rest of the fuel system is clean before I put any fuel back through it and also find out how all this crap made it into the injector pump to start with
I would pull the fuel tank off (not sure how easy this is on your JCB ?) and really make sure it is spot less in side also make sure your filters are working as will as this crap has got past them so maybe something in them is missing or lost
Your tractor should loose starve for fuel before letting any of this crap past so you have a filter issue as well
last thing I would want is to spend the money getting the pump done up and then get it dirty again

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

essexpete

Post #43 by essexpete » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Mrsmackpaul wrote:If I was going to get the pump done up I would make sure the rest of the fuel system is clean before I put any fuel back through it and also find out how all this crap made it into the injector pump to start with
I would pull the fuel tank off (not sure how easy this is on your JCB ?) and really make sure it is spot less in side also make sure your filters are working as will as this crap has got past them so maybe something in them is missing or lost
Your tractor should loose starve for fuel before letting any of this crap past so you have a filter issue as well
last thing I would want is to spend the money getting the pump done up and then get it dirty again

Paul

Aw look mate ( :wave:) he probably has got cr*p in the tank but the rusty look of the innards could me it has stood for some time with moisture contamination in the fuel.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #44 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:05 am

Aw look mate ( :wave:) he probably has got cr*p in the tank but the rusty look of the innards could me it has stood for some time with moisture contamination in the fuel.[/quote]

Hi Pete,
I think you are spot on there. :thumbup:
I didn't mention it before but I think in an earlier post Mick mentioned that he had washed out the dirty filter elements and put them back. :o
That's a "NO-NO." A road to disaster if anything is. :doh:
Fred

Topic author
mickdoc6238
Flag: France

Post #45 by mickdoc6238 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:59 pm

FOWLER MAN wrote:Aw look mate ( :wave:) he probably has got cr*p in the tank but the rusty look of the innards could me it has stood for some time with moisture contamination in the fuel.

Hi Pete,
I think you are spot on there. :thumbup:
I didn't mention it before but I think in an earlier post Mick mentioned that he had washed out the dirty filter elements and put them back. :o
That's a "NO-NO." A road to disaster if anything is. :doh:
Fred[/quote]

Hi Fred and essexpete
I did wash out the Filter with Diesel and it was only to see if i had a problem with the Filter reducing the flow.When every thing is up and running and I have cleaned the full fuel system I will fit new filters though out.
Also I have had a thought about why it had signs of rust in the Inside.After I took of the top cover I tried fixing back the Gasket but it was shot.Stupidly I left the cover off while I waited for the New Gaskets to arrive sitting in the field.....only when I had the Gaskets a week later did I take the photo seen in the post so maybe this is why it looked so bad,but its true it was very dirty and there for sure has had water in the Diesel.

Anyway having said all of this I maybe have good news sorting the problem although not have time to fire up and not 100% sure at this moment
Today I stripped down and cleaned up the Cav pump and after cleaning up the Piston inside you mentioned could be stuck I gave It a spin on the bench and low and behold some fuel spit out of the 4 out lets for the first time......fingers crossed it will work when I fit it back on tomorrow and let you all know.
:thumbup:

Topic author
mickdoc6238
Flag: France

Post #46 by mickdoc6238 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Good News Guys

Fitted the Cav pump back on this Morning and after a bit of Bleeding she Fired right up.
It was either the Little piston in the Inlet getting stuck or was the Cut out system in the top of the Injection Pump.....I Can not say which one for certain as I stripped out and cleaned up both.

I just want to say a very Big thank you to Fred,Agrimax,Tillywolves,Tom and Mrsmackpaul for all your Help,time and pictures and Diagrams you posted on here.I think I can safely say any more problems with the Fuel System I am a bit of an expert now thanks to you Guys.

Next step after giving the whole fuel system a good clean out will be Taking off the Tank,if this is possible and then taking of the Radiator has it has a Big leek and then finding out where my Engine oil leek is.....so plenty still to do but at least I can get her back in the Barn to work on :D

Thank you all again :thumbup:
Mick

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Post #47 by agrimax » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:09 pm

You'll be out of luck taking the tank off as it's welded into place. There is only a bung underneath to drain from and the fuel gauge sender hole on the top below the dash board.You could drain the fuel from underneath and then refill with a strong degreaser solution. Really needs the fuel gauge sender removed and then swirl about the insides of the tank with a power washer with perhaps a bent lance to get into the corners.
Or there is a proper alternative with a plasma cutter and welder..............as post no.4 demonstrates!
Dirt In Fuel Tank of JCB 3C/ 3D Type Machine

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #48 by Mrsmackpaul » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:18 pm

Great news Mick glad its going again
It's gunna be a bit hard to pick the whole machine and shake it all about to clean out the fuel tank
I have in the past with fuel tanks that I cant man handle and are really dirty cut out the side cleaned them right out spotlessly and then weld the side back in at it does work fine for me
You really gotta know what your doing before trying this especially with a diesel tank as its more dangerous than petrol tank

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

tom262
Flag: Ireland

Post #49 by tom262 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:56 pm

good news

essexpete

Post #50 by essexpete » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:20 am

Taking the Rad off to clean thoroughly is a good idea irrespective of the leak. The core tends to get blocked over time and not easy to see or clean with the oil cooler in front.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”