Temperature gauge

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Scooby
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Temperature gauge

Post #11 by Scooby » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:55 am

agrimax wrote:Looks like your gauge sender is faulty.
Try the same thing with the wire on the other sender. If you earth it,I think the warning light should come on.(And /or perhaps a buzzer should sound?)
That's helpful. Thank you very much. I thought about doing the same to the other sender but was a bit concerned that I might blow a diode or a fuse or whatever. There are two wires on that sender cable and I thought that if I earthed the wrong one I would be in even worse trouble.

I presume that this sender works when the water in the cylinder head is at or near boiling and gives an audible as well as an illuminated warning on the dashboard. This is a front dash Project 8.
Six up front .............................means plenty of grunt.

Image Image

agrimax

Post #12 by agrimax » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Haven't worked on a ''young'' machine like yours but I would think that one wire is for the bulb and the other for the buzzer. No buzzer on my white cab and if I remember rightly there was only one wire went to the sender which was for a warning light only on it. I changed it for a gauge sender and fitted a gauge in the dash. I don't trust a warning light for temperature. At least with a gauge,you can watch it rise and stop before it gets too high!

Topic author
Scooby

Post #13 by Scooby » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:02 pm

UPDATE. I bought a new sender for the temp. gauge and thought I would test it in some hot water before fitting it. An alligator clip round the body of the sender with a wire attached to earth then attached the sender cable to the new sender as it should be with the sensor part in hot water. Hey presto ! The guage went half way up the scale. :thumbup:

So thanks to all you gentlemen for all your help. I then decided to have a play with the dashboard light/hooter engine overheating warning system. More of that in the next post.

Image Image

Topic author
Scooby

Post #14 by Scooby » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:12 pm

agrimax wrote:Haven't worked on a ''young'' machine like yours but I would think that one wire is for the bulb and the other for the buzzer. No buzzer on my white cab and if I remember rightly there was only one wire went to the sender which was for a warning light only on it. I changed it for a gauge sender and fitted a gauge in the dash. I don't trust a warning light for temperature. At least with a gauge,you can watch it rise and stop before it gets too high!

After fitting the new temp. gauge sender successfully I thought I would have a play with the sender that facilitates the dashboard warning light and the hooter. The cable for this has 2 connectors onto the sender so I started the digger engine and earthed one of them. - Zippo - zilch - nothing ! Then I swapped the makeshift earth to the other connector and bingo. Light on dashboard and hooter work perfectly. I'm not sure how "correct" my system of testing this was but at least I know that the dashboard light works and the hooter makes a different noise to the one that you get with the ignition turned on and before the engine has been started.

Sorry gentlemen but you can see my avatars. I can be quite "agricultural" at times. It is what I refer to as an "in-the-field repair" :D

Image Image

agrimax

Post #15 by agrimax » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Scooby wrote:
Sorry gentlemen but you can see my avatars. I can be quite "agricultural" at times. It is what I refer to as an "in-the-field repair" :D

Nothing wrong with that.......An agricultural repair can be hard to beat. Very often ''temporarily permanent'' or is it the other way round? As long as it works...

Topic author
Scooby

Post #16 by Scooby » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:15 pm

agrimax wrote:
Scooby wrote:

Nothing wrong with that.......An agricultural repair can be hard to beat. Very often ''temporarily permanent'' or is it the other way round? As long as it works...

If I tell the truth I was getting a bit exasperated. I know that a new machine is probably quite different but who the Hell designed those engine side panels ? And whose bright idea was it to make those clips like they are that fasten the cable connectors on to the senders ? I had got the front bucket propped up in the air with the official ram stop but even then some of that design wasn't the best that came out of Rocester. :cry:

Rant over.

Image Image

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”