Just purchased a JCB 3c mk2

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Just purchased a JCB 3c mk2

Post #11 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:35 am

Your right it is. That engine mustn't be out of a Nuffield then. I wonder what it came out of.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
Malabari

Post #12 by Malabari » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:22 pm

You would be better at guessing than me William.

Got the bonnet on today. Freed the old hinge, couple of self tappers to hold and tacked.

Cleaned the air filter.

Sticky starter solenoid but couple of turns of the key and away she went.

Topic author
Malabari

Post #13 by Malabari » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:37 pm

So after sitting for the past week she wouldn't start.

In that week i fitted an acr 18 alternator in place of the dynamo. The wiring just a basic charging circuit to have the battery charge. I will worry about other wiring subsequently as I believe most of that ran off regulator.

When i tried to start it, the engine fired up straight away and ran for a few seconds then died.

I tried turning it over a few times but the battery soon died. It sounds like airlocked injectors I am thinking, might coincide with the leakoff tank return being disconnected when putting the bonnet back on.

With regards to the ignition switch (some aftermare object)..... I have attached a picture. Does anyone know what terminals marked 1 - 5 would be for. I believe 1 (brown wire) is constant live, 2 (2 white wires) is switched live and other wire is starter.

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #14 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:04 pm

The injector pump on your engine is the inline one which means its very easy bled. Very rarely do you to slacken the unions on the injectors with this type of pump. Just bleed it at the pump and it should be fine. Make sure your careful not to push in the excess fuel/cold start button on the pump because sometimes these don't release once the engine has started and will make the engine stop.

As for the wiring, I've no idea, I only use three wires on my switches. one for the alternator bulb, one for the starter and one live.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
Malabari

Post #15 by Malabari » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Started within a couple of turns after bleeding. Has ran perfectly all day doing work.

Alternator is working perfectly too.

One thing might have helped.... 4wd lol

hubert

Post #16 by hubert » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:29 pm

Welcome to cmn Stephen. Glad to see you got your jcb going. In-line pumps are easily bled. Quite useful looking machine with a lot of work left in it. I have 1978 3c 111. Its not very flashy but still does the job. If the engine is in any kind of shape they are easily started. Mine can sit months at a time. Just put in a battery turn the key and off she goes. Need to check the water level every morning when in use. They are areal good work horse.

Topic author
Malabari

Post #17 by Malabari » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:51 pm

Done a significant amount of work already. The machine has performed very well thus far. The wet weather yesterday has hampered progress somewhat, the ground is no better than a quagmire.

I did, during the course of work, manage to break a Hydra Clamp bolts on the lower nearside.

I had to bypass the clamp as it had pushed the seal out and was leaking hydraulic fluid. I just tidied up the small area I had been working in but it was light work. Didn't want to push it with just 3 hydra clamps holding it together.

I haven't removed the back plate but from the broken bolt it appears to be on cast unit with a square back?

When looking online I can only find items marked suitable for 3cx. Anyone have a part number for the bolt for a 3c mk2??

Small oil leak when hot, think front crankshaft oil seal. Slight just so I don't know if it will be worth replacing or just keeping oil level in check regularly.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”