JCB Power train help

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
mickdoc6238
Flag: France

JCB Power train help

Post #1 by mickdoc6238 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:49 am

Hi All
I have a JCB Powertrain Back hoe on a ''S'' reg plate (1977) but there are no markings on it to suggest if it is a 3c or any other markings
I purchased it a few years ago with-out any real details for it.
Because I am looking for gearbox I would like to nail down exactly what I have so I do not get the wrong parts so could anyone help me on tell tail signs or what I have.

I could post some pictures if it helps.
Cheers ;)
Mick

TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB Power train help

Post #2 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Sat May 14, 2016 10:27 am

There were no Powertrains made in 1977. If your digger has a shuttle lever for forward and reverse then you have a Brockhouse transmission. Is the handbrake on the digger on the floor of your digger or on the right of the dash?
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Post #3 by mickdoc6238 » Sat May 14, 2016 1:12 pm

TullyveeryClassicJCB wrote:There were no Powertrains made in 1977. If your digger has a shuttle lever for forward and reverse then you have a Brockhouse transmission. Is the handbrake on the digger on the floor of your digger or on the right of the dash?

It has the Shuttle lever for front and reverse and the Hand Brake is on the floor.

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #4 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Sat May 14, 2016 2:50 pm

Yeah you have the Brockhouse transmission on a Leyland tractor skid. Not an easy transmission to work on. What exactly is your transmission not doing?
William

JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Post #5 by mickdoc6238 » Sat May 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Well if it's not a easy Transmission to work on it may be the final nail in the coffin for the old girl.

I use the machine every now and then around the property for lifting and digging the odd trench and was digging a drainage hole on a slight incline and as I pulled away to move there was a large bang and the machine rolled back into the hole I was digging.I now have no way of moving forwards or backwards and can only use the back hoe.
I called my father who used to be a driver and he thinks it may be the main shaft that is cast iron.
I really did not want to scrap it and hoped to try to fix it myself although I have no experience.
What do you think ?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat May 14, 2016 5:41 pm

mickdoc6238 wrote:Well if it's not a easy Transmission to work on it may be the final nail in the coffin for the old girl.

I use the machine every now and then around the property for lifting and digging the odd trench and was digging a drainage hole on a slight incline and as I pulled away to move there was a large bang and the machine rolled back into the hole I was digging.I now have no way of moving forwards or backwards and can only use the back hoe.
I called my father who used to be a driver and he thinks it may be the main shaft that is cast iron.
I really did not want to scrap it and hoped to try to fix it myself although I have no experience.
What do you think ?

I would double check that you have not snapped a half shaft; that would cause you to lose drive and if it was the fault it would be a much easier fix.

Jeremy

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #7 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Sat May 14, 2016 5:43 pm

It does sound like the main shaft in the gearbox is the problem if there was a bang. These types of transmission were prone to breaking half shafts as well though. Either way its a lot of work but scrap value is very little on these now. I know of one bloke who after the collection fee of his scrap JCB got £50. If you break it you'll do a lot better money wise but again its a lot of work dismantling it.
William

JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
mickdoc6238

Post #8 by mickdoc6238 » Sun May 15, 2016 4:29 pm

Cheers Guys for your reply's

If it is the Half shaft that is gone what do I need to take off to check. I assume if it's the main shaft I will be taking off more or less the same thing to see.

Also if it is not a power train what mark and model do you think it could be being on the 's' reg.

Here is a picture
images/userpix/63500_OKEC53W6A0HD1463323452.jpg
Mick

agrimax

Post #9 by agrimax » Sun May 15, 2016 8:36 pm

It's hard to tell the height of the cab from the picture but the front indicator/sidelight would suggest a 3C MK3 and if you have a little short shuttle lever on the left and a handbrake lever on the floor,it has got to have the Brockhurst transmission as Tullyv has said.
If you lift up on the jacks,and brake hard on one side(assuming the brakes work),if the wheel can be turned manually,you have a broken half shaft.Do the other side too and see.If both wheels can be held on the brakes then it's likely the mainshaft.
You would be better to go into the download section here and go to earthmoving equipment-JCB and the fifth download from the top. Section F will give details in what is involved. Just follow the Torque converter build or -3 transmission.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”