JCB 3C Mk2 Brakes

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
TullyveeryClassicJCB
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 3C Mk2 Brakes

Post #1 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Tue May 10, 2016 7:46 pm

I was driving a 3Cmk2 with the Brockhouse transmission and there is a loud clunking/ clicking noise from what seems to be the left rear wheel. The noise is exactly the same noise as you would quite often hear after braking very heavy on one of these machines or when you would have the brakes sticking. The thing is though, the brakes work really well on this digger and the wheels are free wheeling very well too. Could the actuator cause this?
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3C Mk2 Brakes

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue May 10, 2016 9:53 pm

William have you jacked the machine up using its legs and 'free wheeled' the left back wheel? Does the machine only make this noise under load?
If you jack it up using its stabiliser legs you may get a better idea whether its a brake fault or transmission fault?

Jeremy

Topic author
TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #3 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Tue May 10, 2016 10:46 pm

Yeah I jacked it up and the wheel free wheels easy. The noise is worse the faster you go. I really would need further investigation. I want to feel if the vibration is worse at the brake pedal. The digger drives fine in all gears. There is no noise when driving into a pile of clay. There is very little noise when driving at full lock in a circle clockwise and anti clockwise. I think the diff cant be the issue. I really do think its coming from the left wheel and it sounds and feels like the brake. The noise is only bad the faster you go. I'm going to jack it up and stick it in 4th and investigate further.
William

JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Wed May 11, 2016 9:50 am

I wonder if the Leyland/Nuffield tractor forum could help you?

I suppose stating the obvious to check the wheel nuts and end float.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by Mrsmackpaul » Wed May 11, 2016 10:27 am

do these have a Leyland backend ???? if so what model Leyland they are all fairly similar in the back end department I think in the middle size tractors

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Jeremy Rowland

Post #6 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed May 11, 2016 10:38 am

Mrsmackpaul wrote:do these have a Leyland backend ???? if so what model Leyland they are all fairly similar in the back end department I think in the middle size tractors

Paul

Paul I believe that some of them are fitted with Leyland engines.

Jeremy

agrimax

Post #7 by agrimax » Wed May 11, 2016 6:29 pm

All Mk2s had Leyland engines.Early ones had the 3.8L,4/99 cylinder and bore size,and an inline piston injector pump. Same as a Nuffield 10/60.Later ones had a 3.8L,4/98 with CAV rotary pump. Same engine as a 270/272 Leyland tractor.Back ends were all Nuffield derived,which followed on in the Leylands. Often wondered what the odd 6 cylinder version had fitted?Was it a 6/98 BMC.? Tully?? Am thinking either you have an outer wheel bearing on it's way out or the inner bearing on the brake shaft.
When the diff went on my MK 3 there were no different noises,it just wouldn't steer.Like there was a diff lock.Lucky it happened as I was about to leave the yard at home and not on the road........

Topic author
TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #8 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Wed May 11, 2016 8:48 pm

The diff is good on this machine. I've been doing lots of circles clockwise and anti-clockwise. With the jack legs down and then put in gear I applied the left brake and the noise stops as does the wheel. I lift the pedal back up as it doesn't spring back up by itself. The wheel still doesn't turn. I applied the right brake, this wheel stops but still the left wheel doesn't turn. I put the digger out of gear. I jump out of the digger and the left wheel could be freed up by me pushing it. The engagement to this wheel is very very poor. Worn splines on the half shaft?????
William

JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #9 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu May 12, 2016 12:29 am

Does it have planetary reduction on the inboard side of the trumpet housing I dont know if 270 Leylands and the like had planetary reduction I dont ever recall seeing bull gear housings so maybe something crook there with all that movement

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

agrimax

Post #10 by agrimax » Thu May 12, 2016 1:07 am

No planetary reduction but there is a bull gear that drives the braking shaft.
If the splines were bad on one half shaft,it wouldn't drive at all. If you brake the right wheel and it still drives,the splines are fine.Only other thing is the springs on the actuator could be broken preventing it from closing back on the balls to off position.Reversing usually puts the brake off again.Common problem on a Leyland......

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”