Power steering fluid for Ford 550

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
aslarsen
Flag: Denmark

Power steering fluid for Ford 550

Post #1 by aslarsen » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:10 am

Hi
My power steering does not work well, and I realized that needed to be topped up. I used high-grade hydraulic oil purchesed for the loader system. Steering did not improve much. Did I use the wrong oil, or should this work?
What are the main/general issue(s) when the steering does not work on these machines?
Br,
Anders

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Power steering fluid for Ford 550

Post #2 by agrimax » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:59 pm

Hydraulic oil is not the right oil for that steering system but it should still make it work. Very often ATF (the red stuff for auto transmissions and ps systems) is used but a good quality universal oil or whatever you put in the engine is mostly suitable. This set up is much known to leak past the front seal on the pump and the oil goes into the sump,raising the oil level,so it's best to use whats in the engine to avoid contamination issues.First thing to check is the filter inside the ps pump reservoir.If it's clear,your pump is likely shot.Could also be the steering motor(orbitrol unit),as they become worn too,but I would check out the pump first.Could do with a pressure gauge fitted to test it.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”