Smoke Rings.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Mikerb
Flag: Great Britain

Smoke Rings.

Post #1 by Mikerb » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:02 pm

More fun with the engine!

After redoing the head gasket it ran for the day then it started missing on one cylinder and looking closely there was water seeping from one of the head bolts which I assume was water getting past the gasket and is probably getting into the cylinder causing it to miss. I have since read that you should crank down the bolts again after it has been up to temp. So I did this and they did crank down some more.

It will now not fire up, but trying to start it with the inlet hose off, I noticed puffs of smoke coming out of the inlet manifold. Now I'm assuming that this isn't normal on the 4.236 or any engine for that matter? and if I'm not mistaken, this is a sigh of an inlet valve leaking?
Also with the exhaust manifold off, it is wet with diesel which has obviously not combusted. Would this be because there is moisture in the bore, or the leaking valve isn't compressing the diesel enough to ignite?

Should I get a valve overhaul kit, or just get a new head with the valve train kit?

Alternatively I could just set fire to the bloody thing, then it can't go wrong AGAIN!!!!

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: Smoke Rings.

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:27 pm

When you re torqued the head did you adjust the valve clearances again as they will no longer be right unless they are self adjusting of course tappets of course
Because you are loosing compression if it wont fire and sounds like the inlet valves are no longer shutting properly

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Mikerb

Post #3 by Mikerb » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:13 pm

That's a good point and did cross my mind, I haven't adjusted the valve clearance yet, I had a go today but it started to rain. Hopefully that's the problem.
What's the best way of doing it? I have read about getting each cylinder to 'rock', where the inlet starts to open and the exhaust is nearly closed, but I can't seem to find that stage, only one is moving at a time. or maybe that's because they are way out?

If it stops raining tomorrow, I'll have another go.

Topic author
Mikerb

Post #4 by Mikerb » Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:24 pm

Had the head off AGAIN today and the head gasket has gone again in the same place as last time:http://www.classicmachinery.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11694 - bottom of page 1.

The block face is a little out of shape and probably the cause, but taking it out to skim isn't really an option, so is there anything like exhaust repair paste, that I can use on it for the next attempt with a new head gasket?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”