JCB 3cx fluids

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
JCBkid
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 3cx fluids

Post #1 by JCBkid » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:11 am

Hello all, this is my first post so be kind :D

I have recently aquired a 1990 JCB 3cx 4x4 turbo backhoe (grey cab, project 7 I think?) for our self build project which is my first piece of plant machinery.

Serial No. 352847

I have done a bit of restoration to get her looking more like new and protected from the winter elements but would just like a bit of info on the correct fluids to use please.

This version has a manual gearbox/clutch with the forward/reverse stalk which I think you call the shuttle reverser.

I have already changed the engine oil, filter, two fuel filters and hydraulic filter but would like to drop the gearbox oil which I think is the same oil which flows into the torque converter? This I am sure is drained seperately via a small drain plug ?

I am waiting for new water hoses to arrive and will change these with the coolant. Would you reccommend putting a scale cleaner through first or could this cause more problems do you think? Any tips on changing the collant would be much appreciated.

I also need to change the seals in the two top front bucket rams as they leak quite bad but the 56mm (I think from memory) nut seems incredibly tight! Just to confirm if it is a normal, not reverse thread? Are they thread locked? Is a 90cm (140mm jaws) pipe wrench suitable for removal of these type of nuts (if flat jaws were made to stop any damage to the actual nuts)?

I will then change most of the hydraulic oil (empty reservoir) so again any expert tips greatly appreciated!

I would also like to change the front axel, hub torque converters and rear axel oil.

The manual reccommends 18lt + of JCB special transmission fluid for the transmission for machines from 320000 but no specs/cross reference, any idea what is the best choice apart from the jcb oil as I am in rural France :shock: ?

I have tried to determine which fluid is in the gearbox just by unscrewing slightly the drain plug and it seems to be red ATF Dexron (orange/red colour on a white rag, distinctive smell) but I know this may not necessarily be right and have heard online lots of people say the dexron is not good for jcb machines, others say it does not matter?? This is the reason for asking on this forum.

The manual also recommends JCB HD90 GEAR OIL for the front axel and JCB SPECIAL GEAR OIL for the rear?

My neighbour also has a more recent 3cx and he noticed the other day that there was lots of water in I think what you call the Slew after unscewing a bolt in the center under the slew actuator? Is it standard procedure to drain off this water(condensation? Rain entering the to of the kingpin?) every now and then or should this not even be there? Does the slew use the same hydraulic all as the rest of the system?

Sorry for all the questions but hope somebody can give me a bit of advice. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Matt
Last edited by JCBkid on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

essexpete

Re: JCB 3cx fluids

Post #2 by essexpete » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:39 am

Sometimes you can find what you want on the oil companies web sites, applications.

Topic author
JCBkid

Post #3 by JCBkid » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:48 am

Thanks Essexpete, I have checked on a few websites (Fuchs etc) but just wonered if any of you guys had similar machines and what you were using.

Land Rover

Post #4 by Land Rover » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:39 am

Jasus mate , you're getting after it there :D
The back axle need to have an oil suitable for wet brakes so they don't vibrate . I have the older 8 bolt axle ( you have the 5 bolt with the reuction hubs I think ) . The manual says JCB super gear oil for both types of axle , I was advised to use SUTO 15/40 ( Super Universal Tractor Oil ?) It is easily available in a farmers tractor shop and is cheap and specifically marked as suitable for wet brakes . I also use it in the engine although mine isn't turbo .
The hubs and front axle I used 90 weight . Just drain the hubs via the bolt arrowed on the face plate and fill with the level plug .
The rear slew gearbox runs in 90w and is totally separate to the hydraulics . It is allegedly common to have some water in there , I can't really comment as mine was as good as dry :dizzy:
The gearbox oil seems to be an item of endless discussion . I know mine has " RED " in it , allegedly it should be ATF D2 . I think you have to rotate the torque convertor until you see a bolt through the window on the bellhousing , then undo a bolt to get all the oil out . The manual has the gen .
For the jobs you've mentioned you are looking at a lot of oil !
A ram expert will be along soon no doubt ....

rockstar91
Flag: United States of America

Post #5 by rockstar91 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Found a brochure that has a list of oils and its benefits, check it out!

http://www.jcb.ee/wp-content/uploads/JC ... e-2009.pdf

Let me know if you found it to be useful info..

Topic author
JCBkid

Post #6 by JCBkid » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:47 pm

Thanks Gordon for the info, especially regarding the oil for the rear axle.

I was just about to get the auto trans fluid (dexron type 2) which was Fuchs ATF3000 but then found a supplier for the JCB special trans fluid at 105€ (Just over £80) for a 20l can?

Yes, thanks for the info regarding the draining of the torque converter, this is was I had gathered from looking under the box.

Thats useful info regarding the seperate oil sump in the slew, I thought this was the case after doing a bit of research last november when I got the machine but my neighbour (who also has a 3cx 94 model) assured me that it got it's oil from the main hydraulic circuit! When I told him again yesterday his jaw dropped as he had also been using it virtually dry since owing it which is about 8 years! I will definately check mine our before it is put to work after getting the oil you reccommended.

I have actually just noticed a leak in the lower part of the slew, see pic. Does anybody know the seal at fault - seems to be clean oil so hydraulic fluid?

Regarding the hydraulic oil, the main tank seems quite low, the level cannot bee seen through the clear gauge window but I have checked with a piece of clean fishing pole. I may not bother disturbing the actual tank drain bolt as it so low and just add fresh new oil as it is because draining the tank will obviously not remove the full quanitity of oil anyway?

Yes, I have done a few jobs including a lot of wiring, new lighting, headlining, cab painted inside/out, and some unnecessary tarting up! (typical me). As it is just for personal use I just wanted to get it all serviced and protected from the elements so she will hopefully do me proud as I will never do the hours so don't mind spending a bit extra at the beginning and she will be good for years to come.

Topic author
JCBkid

Post #7 by JCBkid » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:51 pm

rockstar91 wrote:Found a brochure that has a list of oils and its benefits, check it out!

http://www.jcb.ee/wp-content/uploads/JC ... e-2009.pdf

Let me know if you found it to be useful info..

Thanks Rockstar91, yes I have seen that brouchure but the problem is nobody seems to be able to supply me with the jcb oil where I am based and just want to sell me what they think is compatible, but is it?? I just wanted a few people to confirm what they use in their similar machines. Some people seem to say that the dexron type oils are no good at all for jcb machines and can perish the seals etc, some people say that it does not matter?

The 20l can of JCB special trans fluid I have a price for was from Poland!

Matt

essexpete

Post #8 by essexpete » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:41 pm

Have you tried here? http://www.whatoildoineed.com/

I think that era of JCB had a transmission made by a transmission division of JCB that supplied to Thwaites and Sanderson amongst others. I am sure a the correct non brand oil will do.

Topic author
JCBkid

Post #9 by JCBkid » Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Thanks for the link, not sure where this model falls in the 3cx list (3D?) and do not personaly know any of the oil makes or where to get hold of them.

Matt

coals

Post #10 by coals » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:06 am

For rear axle you need a GL4 for wet brakes, gear etc etc... so a universal 10w-30 is the right oil!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”