Clutch stuck on 3c?

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
SiH
Flag: France

Re: Clutch stuck on 3c?

Post #31 by SiH » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:39 pm

This`ll make you boys laugh...... After a hard day I thought I`d have a quick play on the 3C earlier.......after running it for about 30 seconds it started to splutter a bit.......So........then I remembered I had forgotten to take the light plastic bag out the air intake (to stop the birds nesting)...Oh joy I thought!!!!!! :doh:
I stopped it instantly,but it had still run for 30 odd seconds. I looked down into the inlet manifold and no sign of it, so I did a proper job of getting it in there eh!?
Tomorrow I`ll wip off the inlet manifold and see if i can see anything. If not,its a head off job I suppose? hopefully no other damage.
Cant believe I did it, still,these things happen dont they. :roll:
Any of you boys done the same? any tips would be good.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #32 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:58 pm

Simon I'd have been tempted to quickly put my foot on the accelerator to suck it through the engine; I have heard of people trying to start cold diesels with a flaming rag held to the inlet only to lose it as the engine has fired and revved so I don't think that you will have done any damage. Had the plastic been airtight the engine may not have started so you must have a decent engine in it.

Jeremy

Topic author
SiH

Post #33 by SiH » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:05 pm

Thanks Jeremy! That's a relief to hear. Wish I had floored it as you said, darn it.
I must admit,the engine does/did!? run really well,so fingers crossed will continue to do so. I think I'll finish whipping off the inlet manifold still in the morning, since I've undone the bolts all but one, and see if there's any remains of the bag visible. Then maybe try running it again,and wait for the bang!!!! :D

Topic author
SiH

Post #34 by SiH » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:44 pm

Had a bit of luck today,- managed to pull the bag out pretty much whole from the inlet port for cylinders 3 & 4. After I'd taken the inlet manifold off,I could clearly see the bag,so pulled it gently,and it let go after a bit. Then started the motor with crossed fingers,and luckily no dramas!
That taught me a good lesson that's for sure. :bow:

Jeremy Rowland

Post #35 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:14 pm

Guess that was a close escape then; luckily it did not melt, you live and learn eh. Had you revved the engine hard I suspect it would have probably gone through and come out in bits of black smoke etc but being plastic it may have melted and caused more of an issue than rag? Glad you got it sorted anyway. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Topic author
SiH

Post #36 by SiH » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:15 am

Yep,it is a relief that's for sure. I don't mind repairing things that need fixing generally, but feel annoyed when it's something I've caused. As you say,a lucky escape. ;)

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”