messed with 2 days ago, not only did they let the fuel out from the pump to the
injectors but they added something to the diesel fuel tank of my jcb forcing
me to drain the tank then refill it wasting over 25 litres of diesel fuel but
making me rebleed out the fuel system, also 2 weeks ago someone stabbed a
front tyre on my jcb

Jeremy Rowland

Re: locking fuel cap

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:35 pm

kirbust farm wrote:does anyone know where a locking fuel cap can be purchased?....I had my jcb
messed with 2 days ago, not only did they let the fuel out from the pump to the
injectors but they added something to the diesel fuel tank of my jcb forcing
me to drain the tank then refill it wasting over 25 litres of diesel fuel but
making me rebleed out the fuel system, also 2 weeks ago someone stabbed a
front tyre on my jcb

Sorry I can't help you with the fuel cap but it sounds like somebody has a vendetta against you or they are just being plain idiots; can't you park the machine in a more secure area or cover it with a CCTV it would be worth the effort just to catch whoever is doing this, myself I'd be tempted to wire it to the mains and get a better result! :twisted:

Jeremy

TrevorJ
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by TrevorJ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 1:44 am

A locking cap might make it harder, good if you're camped beside it, but unless you have covers over parts where the fuel line is exposed, these little jiz____ can just move to the fuel lines.

I would say the camera angle, as Jeremy states is the most effective ... to find out who it might be. (Oh don't worry, I've often thought of parking up with all four wheels on small thick insulating sheets of plastic and energising the surface with a car coil and a modified electronic car flasher unit. :evil: )

The outdoor hunting cameras are getting more affordable, placement at the actual site is probably something thieves are starting to look for, so I'd suggest discrete placement down the road each side will give an idea of "traffic flow." Not actually catching the deed would be pointless for the courts, but ... :)

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by bigkit » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:33 am

I tell the guys never to lock the fuel cap. The pikeys only smash it off or bang a hole in the tank and you get even more grief and expense! If vulnerable make sure there's not much in it when you park up.

I had a friend who's garage was targeted. The was so pi@@ed off he wired the doors up to the mains! He'd have left it that way if it didn't keep tripping the fuses indoors! :lol:

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:42 pm

Yes Clive,
We all know tanks should be full over night to avoid condensation. It's sad that the theives make this inadvisable. :(
I had trouble a few years ago when they were siphoning the tank on one of my tippers. I fitted a locking cap and they then took out the fuel guage sender unit and emptied it through there. :o
:idea: Next I welded a box to the under-side of the tipper boddy which covered the filler and sender unit when the boddy was down. :thumbup:
The following week I had a hole in the bottom of the tank. :thumbdown: :doh: You just can't win. :!: :!: :x
Fred

TrevorJ

Post #6 by TrevorJ » Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:11 pm

Pretty much hit the nail on the head there Fred. There's no winning, spending time and money trying to bullet proof the fuel system seems to be doomed.

I also resorted to planning to end the day with about 10 - 15 cm in the bottom of a fuel tank - about all one can do as a precaution, but even then, they can get pretty narky they've come and then walked a way to get nothing much and do other petty things.

The sods my way, figured out the only time I didn't was when I was working a lot of groundwork, where I might actually leave the tank half full as I'd fuel up before supper and afterwards, go out and work another few hours till early morning.

I'm curious, has anyone tried leaving a diesel parked up, with an easy fuel tank, but, not filled with true diesel? ... instead filled with a mix that knocks hard and the engine runs away ;)

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #7 by bigkit » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:03 pm

Put some traffic film remover in it! It'll dry the fuel pumps out. ;)

TrevorJ

Post #8 by TrevorJ » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:19 am

Actually I've had sods drop in half a bucket or more of laundry detergent in my JD tractor tank (well that's what I guessed it was given the very high reflectivity at the bottom of the tank and the gunk I finally scraped out. They had also mixed a small amount into 44 gal drums of fuel I had up a paddock.

As I had not noticed this straight away, it was only after I had leaking issues with the pump gasket and throttle shaft that I became aware of an underlying problem. [Yeah I though the white colour of the fuel I was putting in, was due to the fuel being stored too long and must have been going off.]

Truck Wash or TFRemover might be more active but I wouldn't know.

I had though heard a story where someone in the early 70s accidentally put petrol in the diesel tank of a tractor. The result was the sort of thing I'd wish on the tools that keep harassing other people's fuel tanks.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”