Ford 555C, late 1989ish 4cyl - Shuttle box not shuttling!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Markwood20
Flag: Great Britain

Ford 555C, late 1989ish 4cyl - Shuttle box not shuttling!

Post #1 by Markwood20 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:45 pm

Hi guys,
Thanks again for the previous help with the starter... Well i said i'd be back when something else fell off! :arrrrgh:

Right...
So a week ago the fuel cut-off solenoid packed up whilst i was using the old gal, as i was in the middle of a field digging drainage channels i made a 'field' repair lol (took the plunger and spring out of the old lucas solenoid and then screwed it back into the injector pump) so that i could finish the days work, and more importantly get the machine back to the workshop! :thumbup:

After my field repair it started and ran fine, until i came to reposition...
Put the shuttle in fwd and nothing :doh: ... Went to rev and nothing again!
Put the gear to neutral and tried the shuttle fwd and rev, with no tell tell whirring from the gearbox to signify the shuttle had engaged...
Left it for a few secs then tried shuttle again and the gearbox started whirring.
So i put it back into gear, shuttle fwd and off it went shuttle box working again!

It then continued to work fine for the rest of the day (some good 6 hrs or so) then take me home, do a little shifting of pallets round the yard with lots of back and forward changes no problem.

Parked it up in the workshop for a couple of days while i waited on the new fuel solenoid to arrive, fitted that and found the 10a fuse in the cab had popped so replaced that, fired it up to check all was good and found the shuttle not working again.

However this time no amount of patience and twiddling the fwd/rev stalk back and forth does anything!
So far:
Checked both gearbox disconnect buttons and wires for continuity including the connectors at the cab floor as i know they are prone to damage or sticking and they are good.
Checked for loose connection blocks under the steering column and all seems good, the power-steering unit does weep fluid on everything under there! (Well at least it keeps the wires supple and corrosion free :roll: )
Checked the fwd/rev stalk for continuity and thats all good.
Stripped the fuel tank out and the mounting bracket to get at the shuttle solenoids, i noticed there are a few worn wires with copper showing where the main harness comes through the bulk head and rubs against the tank but nothing serious or shorting, i will heat shrink them and then re-wrap with loom tape before refitting the tank.

I have taken the solid state shuttle modulator thing ( the box under the steering column that says "I 4x4 E8NN-7Z319-AA" to the ford /new holland service centre in the hope of getting it tested but they can't, wont, or dont know how to test it (kept it for 3 days before telling me though)
Any help on how to check if this is working correctly?

Im also struggling to trace the wiring and dont know what the resistances of the shuttle solenoids are/should be to see if they are jiggered?

Im kinda working blind atm because i cant find a workshop manual anywhere!
Can anyone help please?

Ps. I even checked and jiggled the relays and fuses!

Topic author
Markwood20

Re: Ford 555C, late 1989ish 4cyl - Shuttle box not shuttling!

Post #2 by Markwood20 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:11 pm

Here"s a photo of the controller:
URL of the original image: http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/06/e6119bcef44bba88c6438c1064900410.jpg

I assume the black connector to be:
Red - controller power 12v+ (ignition live)
Black - ground
Grey & brown switched live from stalk (one fwd and other rev)?

And the grey connector to be
2x live - one to each solenoid?
2x ground - one to each...?

URL of the original image: http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/06/64bfcb515948deedc8956db26df867b2.jpg

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #3 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:17 pm

do you have power going to the red and black on the box ?

if so do you have power returning down from the steering column when you flick the handle either way ?

if you have that then what comes out the grey connector when you operate the handle ??

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Markwood20

Post #4 by Markwood20 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:38 pm

I dont know, just pulled the box and dropped it in at dealer on my way to work Mon morning and only got it back this afternoon.

I will reconnect the box and test it with the meter tomorrow after work.

The colours i listed in my last post was just an educated assumption from looking at the cables this evening. Hoping someone might have been able to confirm for me?

I also assume its ignition live and doesn't need the engine to be running with the tank being off.

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Post #5 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:35 am

dunno mate I have never worked on one Im just thinking out allowed I dont think stuff all be wrong just got to track down what the problem is

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Markwood20

Post #7 by Markwood20 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:19 pm

Thanks for that Richard, i will have a go at that tomorrow now... Well may need to find a test guage first though, something else to add to the collection lol!

For now i have tested the modulator at the wires with ignition on (but not running) so ill have to refit the tank to do that tomorrw now, after getting a new fuel line and fittings...

Black > Red was reading around 1.8~1.82v with shift lever in Neutral
Reading across Black and all other wires was 0.0v

When the shift lever was in F or R, Black > Red was reading 0.0v and the same again across all the wires.

I also checked the resistence of both the F and R solenoid and they had the same reading of approx 9.2~9.5 Ohm (fluxuation due to probe contact with the connection block pins)

Topic author
Markwood20

Post #8 by Markwood20 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:54 pm

On another (maybe) related note, on the main loom above the modulator connectors is what i thought to be a large block connector that was taped up.
On removing the tape to inspect it i found that it was actually X2 relays, X4 diodes and X3 screw capped fuse holders that had been taped up against the loom
Can anyone explain what these are for?
I checked the diodes and they all work, the fuses are good too.

I have yet to test the relays as I've just lost the will for today :dizzy:

Not to mention the large quantity of clipped, broken or used to be plugged into something wires left hanging under the dash and in the engine bay. I didn't half jump when a wire which ran down by the power steering pipes turned out to be a permanent live and i shorted it against the chassis with a bang whilst disconnecting the fuel pipe.... Will teach me to disconnect the battery in future!
This is the bit i hate about farm machinery and plant that is oldish and had more owners than ive had hot meals :arrrrgh:

Topic author
Markwood20

Post #9 by Markwood20 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:38 pm

Seem to have found a winner,
No 12v supply on the brown wire to the modulator!

Ive traced it back up the loom to an 'inline' Lucas Diode (approx 20x10x5mm size) with a male/female spade connection, its bubbled both sides and has continuity in both directions so thats jiggered, ive continued to trace that power cable through the bulkhead and into the engine bay, but i have the tank in atm...

Im gonna test run with another switched live as a feed and see if it fixes the problem, then find where the original feed comes from in the engine bay!

Topic author
Markwood20

Post #10 by Markwood20 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:52 pm

Seem to have the issue resolved now... Kind of!
I traced the original 12v supply as best i could but was unable to find a reason for it to be dead.

On an up side there was a redundant 12v fused supply hidden among the mess of wires under the dash, which i used to test with. Its been running gently off that for most of the afternoon with no problems.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”