JCB 3C mk1 hoses

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Robin Bristol

JCB 3C mk1 hoses

Post #1 by Robin Bristol » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:42 pm

I am looking at my digger and would like to treat it to a few service/maintenance bits over the next year... while still enjoying the fact it starts and does what it is supposed to any time I ask. Bare in mind this is a survivor with no ambitions to ever become a show girl and I am living on next to no money. I know these machines are still working in far flung corners of the globe pieced together by crafty natives using whatever is available... and I love that!

There are a few obviously worn and a couple of weeping hoses (one of the rear jack hoses squirts under load). It seems to be a fairly simple DIY job to swap them and maybe fit some of those plastic wraps while I am at it. Is there a way to identify the hoses and order replacements before I stat taking the originals off? Could I source some serviceable used ones or would I be better waiting until I can afford new (one at a time)?

The seat is practically falling off, it seems to swivel and bounce a bit but also randomly tilts alarmingly... I would love to replace it with something more comfortable and newer.. are they a bolt on/off item or is every machine different?

I see it takes gallons of every kind of fluid... so I will be topping up as and when... however I suspect the filters are all way past their best and I will be looking for ways to find cheap replacements. Are any of these things 'standard' issue and fitted to several vehicles and is there a generic market? Once again is there a part number or description I could be using to hunt down a bargain? I am an experienced bodger and could make an alternative housing for a better filter or adapt/graft on a more common later model item.

Finally I need a couple of front tyres... I found some for no money up north but the courier wants over £50 just to bring them to me. currently some 8.25 x 16 are fitted but I hear 9.00 x 16 is better and possibly more common 7.50 x 16 might work. They are never going on the road... but the current ones look over 20 years old and are coming apart. I used to re-cut lorry tyres back in the 1970's... any suggestions would be appreciated.

martyn williams

Re: JCB 3C mk1 hoses

Post #2 by martyn williams » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:09 pm

I assume that you are in the Bristol area, Pirtek at Avonmouth could do hoses, also there are a few tyre places in that area.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #3 by tctractors » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:49 pm

Pirtek, is the last place on Earth to go for any hose items, they will tear your arse out with the bill etc, ask around the local contractors or Farmers for info on a good place to try or a crafty native that knows what he is upto, if you get into a dogs hole send me a p.m. and I might be able to help you some with the pipes and oil, the filter issue is not a big outlay as they are common items (mostly)
tctractors

Topic author
Robin Bristol

Post #4 by Robin Bristol » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:52 am

Sounds like I need to start cultivating some new friends... the nearest farmer I know is in Derby 100 miles away and he is the only person I know with and heavy machinery. I live in the heart of the City with an amazing little field hidden away... lots of builders but no local farmers.

I know I can get a hose made up if I take the original off and give it to them as a pattern, but that means I am stuck with the first place I try and have killed the machine until I fit a new hose. What I want to do is find a serial number or spec that I can quote and get at least a couple of prices. I am still tempted to source some used hoses in better condition than mine and replace a lot of them, if that is not foolish.

Stormin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by Stormin » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:49 pm

Your best solution if you're miles from anywhere is to get yourself some hydraulic hose and some re-usable end fittings so you can make your own up in an emergency.
You may struggle to get the re-usable fittings from the usual hydraulic suppliers as they'd rather charge you for use of their expensive swaging kit but e-bay should be able to help you source some.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”