Liners on a 3C Mk3

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Liners on a 3C Mk3

Post #1 by Tillywolves » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:41 pm

Im topping up the radiator water on a regular basis, and its not going into the engine, as the oil is nicely black, not mayo.

I think its being lost through the liners, as Im getting white smoke on startup, which clears. Looking on the topics regarding liners, I can see that if you replace a single liner, you have to do all sorts of measurements, which seem a bit complicated. If I replace all four liners at the same time, will I need to measure them ?

Also, whats involved in liner changes, and how hard are they to do ?

Is it worth taking the head off the engine first, to see if it is the liner. Will I get water pooling in the cylinder ?

hubert

Re: Liners on a 3C Mk3

Post #2 by hubert » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:10 pm

Might be going into the liner & piston. Heard of a jcb being started & being worked then stopped and in afternoon refused to start. Injectors were removed engine was turned over and a spray of water came out injector holes. Water could be lost from injector sleeves. Removing liners requires head off sump off pistons out and then the liners have to be pulled out. Requires a special tool. Some of the liners can be tight. If one liner is leaking it is a good idea to change all four liners as they could be going pourus. Dont want to strip the engine a few times.

Stormin

Post #3 by Stormin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:39 pm

Wet liners like those used on the BMC engine should be easy enough to remove without special tools. Im told modern liners are built to tighter tolerances so you should be able to get away without measuring liner projection above deck level. Theres always a chance though that block damage has occurred with age which may be causing your problem so best to check. Easy enough with a straight edge and feeler gauges or a dial gauge and mounting block.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #4 by Tillywolves » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Sounds like I need to do a little more research then... Just topping it up is ok short term, but I guess I need to sort it out eventually.

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #5 by FOWLER MAN » Fri May 01, 2015 5:00 pm

Stormin wrote:Wet liners like those used on the BMC engine should be easy enough to remove without special tools. Im told modern liners are built to tighter tolerances so you should be able to get away without measuring liner projection above deck level. Theres always a chance though that block damage has occurred with age which may be causing your problem so best to check. Easy enough with a straight edge and feeler gauges or a dial gauge and mounting block.

Hi,
The liners have always been manufactured to the required tolerances, it's in the engine blocks that the problem lay.
We used to be able to get shims to go under the liner lip to correct the protrusion where needed. I always made a point of checking, better to be sure, though rarely was any shimming required.
Fred
Last edited by FOWLER MAN on Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

partsman

Post #6 by partsman » Wed May 13, 2015 5:19 pm

Liners on this Leyland engine are notorious for becoming porous.
Almost certainly your problem and relatively easy and cheap to change.

Give me a call on 01342 327300 or email graham@hpsnet.co.uk, as I can supply these.

tctractors

Post #7 by tctractors » Wed May 13, 2015 9:25 pm

The liner hight above the block face is very important as this tolerance is the only thing that holds the liner in place and stops the liner rattling about in the block, the B.M.C. 498 engine that is in the Mk3 sometimes needed the counterbore cutting and a Stainless Steel shim to correct this issue, you need to remove all your liners its not hard to do, then clean things up some within the block before fitting new liners in without the seals to check the hight as required, I think the thinnest shim is 5 or 7 thou thick.
tctractors

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #8 by Tillywolves » Sun May 17, 2015 2:21 pm

Anyone have a rough cost for getting someone in to do this ?

holzrainer
Flag: Germany

Post #9 by holzrainer » Wed May 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Hello,

I had the same problem with my BMC, it took water and white fog came out of the engine breather.
The sealing rings of the liners were poor. I got the tip from a JCB mechanic and I replaced the rings myself , it was not very difficult.

Greetings Rainer

MrF
Flag: France

Post #10 by MrF » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:17 pm

Sorry, long time no post & I'm going to dig this thread up from the past as it covers most of a question I logged in to ask.
Can 3cIII/leyland 4/98 liner/piston replacement be done entirely with the engine in the machine? I have access to a decent machine shop (lathe/mill/surface grinder etc) and inspection equipment to measure liner protrusion, but currently no lifting gear and no decent workshop with a stable floor & I have one bad cylinder (compression tested it and 3 were at 300psi on the starter and the 4th at 40psi...)

I see enginefix have the liner/piston/rings for 90 quid posted and Ive got a spare top gasket set and a head in the workshop. I'm hoping if I have the stuff in front of me, its a good weekends work to get it done.
Also what is a "reasonable" figure for compression pressure at starter motor cranking speeds?

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”