Liners on a 3C Mk3

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

MrF
Flag: France

Re: Liners on a 3C Mk3

Post #21 by MrF » Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:05 am

I think to be pragmatic taking that whole assembly off is a job best left to when its on a engine stand and everything is accessible, as I'd have to disturb the water pump and lots of other stuff to get the timing chest off. What I think is best is to take another look at if I can work past the balancer in situ and see if I can access the conrod bolts on the other cylinders by rotating the crank into different positions and approach it that way.

Noted on the rad Pete, I'll flush and inspect it out the machine. I've decided to replace the radiator hoses because they feel mushy also.

justamin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #22 by justamin » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:29 pm

I have a 3CX with the 4.98 fitted and need to rebuild it (been meaning to do it for a year!) Do I have to keep putting the liners in and then removing them again to get the required deck height?

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #23 by FOWLER MAN » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:49 pm

justamin wrote:I have a 3CX with the 4.98 fitted and need to rebuild it (been meaning to do it for a year!) Do I have to keep putting the liners in and then removing them again to get the required deck height?

Hi,
The answer to your question is yes.
No problem though. Drop them in without the seals in place and pull them out again as required till you get it right. Then finally fit the seals. They are not tight and will lift in and out OK.
Fred

justamin
Flag: Great Britain

Post #24 by justamin » Fri May 01, 2020 11:46 am

Thanks Fred, I'll let you know how I get on

MrF
Flag: France

Post #25 by MrF » Wed May 06, 2020 10:48 am

Having just done it, the hardest part of the job is setting up to take a protrusion measurement.
I bought my liner/piston from enginefix uk on ebay, and they asked me lots of questions on liner lip thickness and dimensions etc to "configure" the liner for me and so I took them with a micrometer to get them accurate. I thought it was just boilerplate questions to make sure they sold me the right liner but I've ended up not needing a liner shim to get the height correct so I wonder if they turned the flange thickness to suit my specs.
Now back to fixing all the other issues that have come to light, before I can fire up mine again.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”