Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Dieseldazzler05
Flag: Great Britain

JCB 3c mk 3 with torque converter oil leak when hot

Post #1 by Dieseldazzler05 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:03 pm

Hi guys,

Been looking at a 3c mk3 with a the 4 speed box and torque converter,

Just spoke to the seller who says he is trying to find a 9/32nd bolt to plug a hole in the mating plate (between what I'm not sure) as when the machine is warmed up the oil starts coming out!

Says its not the oil level/filler hole and its in the mating plate, anyone any ideas?

Was running fine before it was parked up, not been used for a any length of time for a few years except to move its self around the site (self build),

It also comes with a overhauled T/C that was never fitted as it was discovered the lack of pressure was due to the "clutch" pedal being seized down. Any help much appreciated! Cheers John

URL of the original image: http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/29/31a33445990ee3c17fe09f0b7e628fdc.jpg

Jeremy Rowland

Re: JCB 3c mk 3 with torque converter oil leak when hot

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi John we need a bit more info on exactly which hole is being plugged? I would suggest that thread tape be placed around the bung before fitting it.

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:12 pm

I think Jeremy is right more info needed, there are some folk on here that know these machines very well. If it is a bolt on the bell housing then there should not be oil there anyway. If you are looking at a MK 111 build 5 power train (has it got a big chunky forward/rev lever and propshaft between gear box and back axle) and you have some spares plus not too expensive then it might be OK even with a leak.

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #4 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:31 pm

Its a Powertrain Build 5 and by the sounds of it oil is coming out of the bell housing because of a leaking seal. My 3D Powertrain has just had the same trouble. If you do buy it, prepare yourself for the removal of the transmission. It wont be just a case of plugging a hole. I have to say the condition of the digger looks excellent, you have a tandem pump so Im assuming you've got extending dipper?and getting an overhauled torque thrown in sounds good too.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
Dieseldazzler05

Post #5 by Dieseldazzler05 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:04 pm

hey, sorry for the late reply tapatalk doesn't seem to been alerting me,

it is a power train model with the small prop shaft and the same rear end (I believe) as the telehandler,

essexpete: it has the FWD/REV gear on the dash, also has the extradig as you noticed,

looks so good as it was blasted and repainted around 4 years back with an offshore paint!
on the down side the cab is knackerd and the held together with box section, no doors either but all glass included, and the walk through toolbox has been welded shut !, oh and the 4 in 1 is missing a closure ram.

More info:

I spoke to the seller again and still cannot quite get the idea where this hole is that needs plugging,
im used to the mk2 with the tractor like rear end, so cannot really picture it either, a have the manual and the workshop manual but have only just realised its down as a "5/build" machine I think from looking at a 3CX grey cab some time back this "mating plate" is the casing face between the TC and the gearbox (assuming they are the same ish)
He was "saying it looses the gearbox oil once its hot"? not that this narrows down the location of this mating plate!,
however am I right in thinking that if its only when the oil is hot it could be a casing bolt or something similar? i.e once the oil is hot and expanding its getting to the level of this hole and pouring out?

the reason it has a spare TC is because it was used at an airfield open day where someone stood on the "clutch" pedal which opened the relief valve and the valve got stuck meaning it lost pressure and wouldn't drive, the TC was first suspect and a rebuilt one was ordered, it was after this the valve was discovered and the rebuilt unit put in the shed, where its been ever since,

it is said to have worked fine until it was parked up now it has this leak, wonder if its just fell out or vibrated loose?
hope some of this helps!

Topic author
Dieseldazzler05

Post #6 by Dieseldazzler05 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:35 am

Update:

got a call today, had looked at a 3cx a while back with TC problems, would only go in reverse, told the seller that this was the reason I needed to see it driving as the 3cx ran and operated perfectly just like this one, but had weak drive and no forward, so today in the phone he said he had got it out its corner and been running it back and forward to the point it started getting quite good but then it started to lose drive in forward, and was now chucking the oil out rather than just a drip, he called his mechanic who said the TC had either blew the seal or fractured internally and would need to be swapped out, its going to be about 2 weeks till its fixed, he had all the cab glass except the door and the rear window, im pretty sure he's an O.K guy as he is willing to sort it all if I'm still interested, and he never tried to hide the problems. the next closest one to me is Hamel Hempstead (according to google) which would be about £1500 on transport alone going on quotes I've had so far, which would blow me way over budget! Think I'll just wait!

davew2

Post #7 by davew2 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:03 pm

Clutch pedal not fitted to a torque converter model ??????

Topic author
Dieseldazzler05

Post #8 by Dieseldazzler05 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:53 pm

Its a pressure relief valve that acts like a clutch to enable you to change gear on the road

davew2

Post #9 by davew2 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:04 am

I have a 3c mk3 with torque converter and i haven't got one :cry:

Topic author
Dieseldazzler05

Post #10 by Dieseldazzler05 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:07 am

Hmm, on this one its just off centre on the left side between where the clutch would be and the seat post, same type of pedal as the foot throttle, strangely enough I couldn't see a hand throttle on this one, sorry I've not got pics,

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”