jcb troubles

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
marka108

jcb troubles

Post #1 by marka108 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:15 pm

Hi guys, First post so be gentle with me :D
I volunteer at a railway preservation group and we have just bought a jcb, up until now we have been running an old whitlock that has just gone to a collector,

the jcb has a few issues that need sorting out which i am more than happy to do, wiring for lights, wipers etc and welding on the cab floor and side steps, however what i would like to know is what model it is so i can order sleeves for the back actor and bucket pins etc.

i have noted all the details off of the plate on the side of the machine but when i google it what comes up dont look like what we have got. could you lovely intelligent people on here maybe help me out... :mrgreen:

machine No 3cx/292695
engine No 4/98NT/504/1989
g/box 13027/481/1581
t/c 2693
axle 05103
originaly supplied by Berkley jcb ltd.

the second question is there is no forward drive on the machine, reverse is fine but if you select forward it just creeps but can be stopped by hand, we have been told this is the plates in the drive or something ?? :dizzy:

any ideas?

and does anyone know of a jcb mechanic in the fife area that would be willing to repair the above mentioned issue...
sorry for the long winded post guys and thanks for an awesome forum... :thumbup:

grant
Flag: Great Britain

Re: jcb troubles

Post #2 by grant » Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:51 pm

I've sent you a pm

Tillywolves

Post #3 by Tillywolves » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Welcome to the forum. I've stuck loads of questions one here, and you will get some good advice from the guys on here.

Topic author
marka108

Post #4 by marka108 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:05 pm

well as promised here are some pics of the old girl, we are in the process of sorting her out so she most definatley aint looking her best.....

URL of the original image: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh288/marka108/jcb013.jpg

URL of the original image: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh288/marka108/jcb010.jpg

URL of the original image: http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh288/marka108/jcb008.jpg

any info / help any one can give us is much appreciated....

Topic author
marka108

Post #5 by marka108 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:11 pm

agrimax

Post #6 by agrimax » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:00 pm

Perhaps grant has filled you in on the model,etc?
What you have is white cab 3cx from 1980-81.The first CX's.
The engine no. would suggest that you have a Leyland BMC 4/98NT engine,although the exhaust pipe is on the wrong side for that.But I think from your second picture,I can see a BMC rocker cover,and looks as if someone has done away with the silencer? The Perkins engine models had the exhaust coming through the bonnet on the left whereas yours should be on the right.It'll have a Borg Warner TC transmission. Check the TC oil(ATF) on the dipstick beside the battery,with the engine running.You might be lucky enough to just be low on oil as they normally do reverse but won't go foward if that is the case.Failing that,it'll likely be the clutch plates as you mentioned.
Given the age of it,it looks in pretty good shape.

Topic author
marka108

Post #7 by marka108 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:02 pm

agrimax wrote:Perhaps grant has filled you in on the model,etc?
What you have is white cab 3cx from 1980-81.The first CX's.
The engine no. would suggest that you have a Leyland BMC 4/98NT engine,although the exhaust pipe is on the wrong side for that.But I think from your second picture,I can see a BMC rocker cover,and looks as if someone has done away with the silencer? The Perkins engine models had the exhaust coming through the bonnet on the left whereas yours should be on the right.It'll have a Borg Warner TC transmission. Check the TC oil(ATF) on the dipstick beside the battery,with the engine running.You might be lucky enough to just be low on oil as they normally do reverse but won't go foward if that is the case.Failing that,it'll likely be the clutch plates as you mentioned.
Given the age of it,it looks in pretty good shape.

cheers for that, there are 2 filler caps in the cab in front of the steering column what one is what ? i assume one is brakes and one is transmission.....

digmydigger

Re: jcb troubles 3c 111

Post #8 by digmydigger » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:08 pm

Hi while fitting the rocker shaft onto my 4.98 engine OOOOOps dropped 2 washers into the tappets space got one out with a mini hook but the other fell down it a made contact sound then gone Q can any one now know where it is inside engine has it fallen into oil in sump or could it be behind the side panels I did not stop to look then (red mist) any I dears will be great many thanks for your time Les

Topic author
marka108

Post #10 by marka108 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:48 pm

we are in the process of restoration so if its ok with admin i will post more pics here as she progresses along, the front bucket is going to be a challenge as there is a rather big gap along the joint of the clam when closed and it has 2 big patches on it one on the top surface and one underneath. being as we are a railway and the machine will be carrying alot of gravel we need a better seal on the bucket so may be laying in some plate and welding it in to fill the gap.

any thoughts or suggestions welcome.....

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”