JCB's and the law on the road

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Re: JCB's and the law on the road

Post #21 by Tillywolves » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:00 pm

V5 arrived this morning, and I have a filled in V112G, to exempt me from the MOT. Lets see what the Post Office says...

Just need to make it road legal now, then drive it home.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #22 by Tillywolves » Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:38 pm

Post Office computer says NO, and refer to DVLA. As it hasnt been registered for some time, it was still classed as a "Digging Machine" which as a category, does not exist anymore. DVLA guy advised to fill in the V5, and send off the payment for the vehicle tax, and change the taxation class to "Special Vehicle."

jcb4cx

Post #23 by jcb4cx » Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:44 pm

my ones have been taxed as SV for quite some time now
every village has one , is yours missing you

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #24 by Tillywolves » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:28 pm

This one was last taxed in 1990. I hope the DVLA dont go after the previous keeper, as I guess they sold it years ago, and its passed through so many hands untaxed.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #25 by Tillywolves » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:21 pm

Letter from DVLA this morning, she is now taxed... Just got to make her road legal now.

Diggerpete1961

Post #26 by Diggerpete1961 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:45 pm

If as above I only wanted to insure for the road travel risk (only ever to be driven by me) would it matter if I took on the occasional paid job (not on the highway) to sort of cover costs - I am looking at owning a 2CX vs a micro digger. Go any bigger on the towed machine & costs of the tow vehicle swamp the cost of the actual machine that makes money! With the 2CX it is self mobilizing - pity at only 21mph

I am looking to get back into the game on my own account - but stay as far below the radar as poss. I did a manufacturer's operating course with JCB decades ago & do have many thousand hrs experience on backhoe loaders, but more recently on mini diggers. I do see a gap in the market for a compact machine that can handle a full pallet of bricks up lanes where a delivery truck cannot get, as well as doing general groundwork etc, can never make my mind up which way to go

essexpete

Post #27 by essexpete » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm

It difficult for anyone to give advice but even if you carryout work for a 3rd party under the radar, as it were, what happens if you damage property by accident or rip out a service? I think in this day you are pushing your luck not to have some form of liability cover.
A farming friend told me a story of a bad accident to a lorry driver caused by an unlatched bucket on a telehandler. Severe life changing injuries. Costs against the farm exceeded the liability cover and put that farm out of business.
Of course this has nothing to do with insurance legally required for driving on the road.

Diggerpete1961

Post #28 by Diggerpete1961 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:18 am

Had a look at a handbook for the 2CX - the sheer complexity of the axles & the amount of daily greasing needed in that area (compared to my old 3C I owned for years) has made me think twice for now, leaving aside the problems with the steering regularly going 'out of synch' has made me realise this is too big a step just now. I did plan some kind of 3rd party working insurance, but am not rejoining the CITB / CTA scheme etc. I feel I have learned enough over the years. My very elderly parents got ill one after the other, I gave up to look after them & sort of lost touch with it all - except for odd bits of driving for others - & occasional landscape/ garden job with a hired mini - I just turn up & drive the thing. Better than guys who have never driven one hoping for the best. I give them tips like trace incoming services, lift manholes in area to see how drains run. Come with lazer level etc. Wife does not drive so probably an independent machine that needs me to get a lift back not viable. Pity as I see the 2CX as hireable to the small 'Joe Bloggs' builder for the reasons I said. Probably public liability, road tax, roadgoing insurance all add up to too big a gamble up front (Could I road tax a machine for the summer months initially?) When I last taxed one it was indeed a 'digging machine' & was £40 pr yr - as was an ag tractor.

crew_cab
Flag: Wales

Post #29 by crew_cab » Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:40 am

jcb3c mk3 i sent for a logbook for my digger it had number plate when i got it dvla say its now classed as special vehicle and its not free tax after several letters i got it sorn'd

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #30 by Tillywolves » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:35 pm

I argued the toss with the DVLA and got it tax exempt. Just used to go between two pieces of land. I was also told that due to its age, it didnt need taxing either. Its insured fully comp with Footman James, as a digger, but not used in a commercial environment for £120 a year. Its not fit to drive on the road at the moment, but I can legally if I do some repairs... such as working electrics, decent tyres, and brakes that actually stop the machine...

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”