Looking at a 3C mk3 this weekend. Any advice !!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Looking at a 3C mk3 this weekend. Any advice !!

Post #71 by Tillywolves » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:20 pm

I'll give you a call over the weekend Julian, so I dont bother you at work.

Can anyone tell me what size the spill rail pipes are. I have a mix of rubber, and two different size OD nylon pipes. This is causing a fuel leakage onto the injectors on Cyl 3 and 4. Looks like 4mm inside diameter, but I didnt have a measure on me at the time.

One other issue is that since fitting the new thermostat, I took the digger for a long spin around the field, to warm it up. I found that after 5 minutes, the engine seems to labour, and cut out. It then turns over, but wont start. After a few minutes, it will kick back into life. I was worried that its overheating, but there is no steam coming off the rad. Looking through the forum, I'm going to suspect that there is a fuel starvation issue. Ive ordered a new long fuel filter, and I will be removing and cleaning the fuel filters this weekend. I know there is fuel in as Ive already put in 30 litres. The field is very bumpy, so I think I might have disturbed any sediment or water in the fuel tank.

I've followed the fuel pipe from the tank to a sediment filter unit. Im going to replace this, with the one in the picture, and fit new fuel pipes, and banjos to the fuel pump. Then replace the pipe from the pump to the long filter, along with any others that look perished or leaking. Im not confident about messing with the fuel injector assembly, so will be leaving that alone. Once I finally get the machine home, I might have a go at draining the fuel tank, and seeing if it needs a clean. The fuel gauge displays full all the time, so I suspect either the wire is shorting out somewhere, or the sender unit is U/S. I think the cab needs to come off to replace that, so its not going to be done unless I rip off the cab in a year or two's time.

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #72 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:32 pm

It'll more than likely be the filter inside the injector pump but do check everything because it could be a number of things. Draining a fuel tank on one of these JCB's is a pointless exercise because it really is as you have found out - it is only when the tank is being shaken by bumps and such like that the dirt at the base of these expansive flat bottom tanks get disturbed and flow out. Another big problem with the tank is the internal gauze/filter in the tank because it restricts dirt in the tank from getting out and then decreases or stops fuel flow.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #73 by Tillywolves » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:36 am

How difficult is it to check the injector filter Will. I did read a post that some internals can be disturbed, and unless they are put back correctly, the pump wont work.

agrimax

Post #74 by agrimax » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:23 am

Handy enough if you're careful.Take the inlet pipe off and remove the big nut (24mm spanner) that pipe screws into. Lift out the short heavy spring. Below that spring is a guide plug.The shape of a top hat.The filter sits around the hole that the big nut screws into.If you can keep a little pressure on that guide plug with a small punch,you can pull the filter out with a piece of mig wire with a hook on the end.If you don't keep pressure on the plug,sometimes the whole valve will pull out with the filter, and the plunger and spring inside it will fall into the bottom of the hole.A very small magnet will lift them out and probably the very bottom spring as well.If you don't have a magnet,you may have to take the end off the pump to invert it,which is no big deal really.All must go back in the correct order or it will not go.Just can't find a good exploded view of the components to post!

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #75 by Tillywolves » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:56 pm

I'll be leaving that one then, unless necessary... :dizzy:

phil obrien

Post #76 by phil obrien » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:20 am

Could get a couple of fan belts put on it before the new shaft goes on.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #77 by Tillywolves » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:27 pm

I've fitted a new ignition switch from a 3CX this weekend. Still need to sort out the fuel filters, and clean the separator but haven't had the time to get over to it. I will be replacing the shaft at some time, and sticking a spare fan belt onto it.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #78 by Tillywolves » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:06 pm

Does anyone know the JCB part number for a 3C Mk3 pump shaft ?

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #80 by Tillywolves » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:44 pm

Yes, I've seen that one, just wanted a part number to cross reference.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”