Looking at a 3C mk3 this weekend. Any advice !!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Tillywolves
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Looking at a 3C mk3 this weekend. Any advice !!

Post #91 by Tillywolves » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:13 pm

Found this video, which explains the theory of liner replacement. Not specific to JCB though...

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vWeibfi_Wg[/video]

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #92 by Tillywolves » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:27 pm

Had the machine working today and found that after 10 minutes, under load, the engine was cutting out again. Ive replaced the main filter, and stripped the other components down. Engine would fire up on Easystart, so I knew it was a fuel problem. If I left it for 15 minutes it would tick over but as soon as I revved up to move, it dies, and wouldn't start. Remembering what someone posted I removed the fuel pipe coming from the tank and it barely dribbles out, despite the tank being full. No wanting to drain it all down, as I needed to shift the digger quickly, as it was blocking the drive, I poked a piece of wire up the tank outlet, and unblocked it by poking around... Sure enough the fuel started to pour out. Pipes reconnected, and system bled, its running sweet again.

I know I've wrecked the tank filter, but once its run out of fuel, Im going to remove the large bung/connector, and have a crack at shifting some of the gunge and replace the filter with a new one.

One issue, apart from realising the brakes on a slope with a 3c are stupidly poor.. is that in low range, second gear, when pulling off on a slope, the machine just applies drive to the easiest wheel, and starts to spin the machine round, despite turning the front wheels. Very startling, especially going uphill on a steep narrow drive.. I cant use first gear, so I use the low ranges when hill starting. Is this torque in low range the reason the digger is reason the digger is rearing up, and loosing the will to steer ? I'm not very skilled in driving a JCB yet..

essexpete

Post #93 by essexpete » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:19 pm

When you move up hill on the slope where are you carrying the rear arm and your loader arms?

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #94 by Tillywolves » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:51 am

Loader arms straight out, rear arm, which is an heavy extending dipper folded up. Yes, its quite a bit of weight and I have managed to wheelie it on a field before...

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #95 by Tillywolves » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:50 am

Will load up the front bucket next time I think...

TullyveeryClassicJCB

Post #96 by TullyveeryClassicJCB » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:13 pm

Your 3C has a 3D boom and a 3C extending dipper. This combination could make the geometry off when bringing the boom upright and dipper in for travelling purposes. Regardless of that the weight issue is definitely a big problem. You need more weight to the front. A digger with extending dipper was usually always accompanied by a 4 in 1 bucket on the front. The easiest solution for you would be a 3D bucket with forks.
William

JCB Hydra Digger Loadall 65
JCB 3DIII Powertrain
JCB 3DIII (Manual)
JCB 3DII
JCB 3CIII
JCB 805B

essexpete

Post #97 by essexpete » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:47 pm

Are you sliding the carriage over to on side and folding the boom right in behind the machine? If you are then perhaps for extended loader only use drop off the rear bucket? I think Tully has the right ansswers. We used our MK 3 P/t with a flat 8 bale grab and with an extender hoe it could be light on the front and we had long arm version.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #98 by Tillywolves » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:37 am

Its piped for a breaker, so even more weight. Yes, it tucks up but not very well, Ill post some pictures. The bucket on the back arm is the largest one at the moment, as Ive not been bothered to change it. Might stick a smaller one, or take it off altogether when I shift the machine up a sloping path...

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #99 by Tillywolves » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:52 pm

Started to strip back a few layers of paint on the front bucket.... Looks like its been a few colours over the years..

Original URL: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/tillywolves/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1423_zpsnxzak1oj.jpg

I did clear a small patch last week, and paind it with Tractol Post Office Red, but decided to paint a little more to see is it looked ok. You can see that the smooth bit is the stripped metal, and the rest is very lumpy.

Original URL: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/tillywolves/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1424_zpsb2fglmtz.jpg

So I decided just to do the job properly, I should strip it all off....

Original URL: http://i893.photobucket.com/albums/ac137/tillywolves/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG1426_zpsahq77l9n.jpg

essexpete

Post #100 by essexpete » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:30 pm

Can you do my 3ton Thwaites next. Looks like it was painted without an undrcoat!

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”