Looking at a 3C mk3 this weekend. Any advice !!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

agrimax
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Looking at a 3C mk3 this weekend. Any advice !!

Post #51 by agrimax » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:53 am

Don't know the Jcb pt no but the discs for a Leyland tractor are the same,although your linings are likely bonded if original,as opposed to riveted as on the tractor. Not cheap,but one example.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JCB-PARTS-3C-BRAKE-DISCS-6-1-2-SET-OF-FOUR-/310853659658?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Construction_Tools_ET&hash=item4860526c0a

Or....http://www.malpasonline.co.uk/itm/Brake-Lining-Kits/Brake-Lining-Kit/13975#sthash.Q6XE8kQw.dpbs
You could remove the linings from your discs and possibly find the rivet holes already there and use the above.

Or.....http://www.tractorspareparts.co.uk/leyland-272-tractor-brakes-parts-c-8_24_166.html

You can ask these guys for compatability,just to be sure.

When you do get built up again,don't adjust the brakes up too much as they will heat up and lock on.Usually have to reverse to get them off again and don't be expect them to be great anyway! :thumbup:

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #52 by Tillywolves » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:57 am

Thanks for the link to tractor spares. Will be placing an order for replacement balls, springs and disks. Might as well get them replaced.

I've been advised to file down any burrs, to stop the units grabbing as well...

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #53 by Tillywolves » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 pm

Had the nearside brake assembly off tonight. The pins were seized, and needed WD40 to free them up. One pin is rusted fast into the assembly though. Might need some heat at some stage. Brake disks looked ok, but glazed. Braking faces were rusty, so I gave them a clean up on the bench wire brush. Balls and grooves didnt seem worn at all. Im going to put it all back together tomorrow, and see if it works, before spending more than I paid on it just for brakes. Gave the brake disks a roughing up as well, just for good measure.

Also replaced the main hydraulic filter, which was in one piece, but very brown.

I'll post some pictures later.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #55 by Tillywolves » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:56 pm

Looking for a new drive cable to get the rev counter working. This is the only thing I can find online. Would it be the right size and end fittings ?

http://www.malpasonline.co.uk/itm/Tractormeter-Gauge-Cables/Drive-Cable-1780mm/52626

agrimax

Post #56 by agrimax » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:37 pm

The ends should be right but it would be worth measuring the distance between your tacho and drive unit as best you can,allowing a little extra for bends. As your tacho is off to to the right and the tractor one is in front of the steering wheel,it follows that the cable would need to be longer for the JCB but perhaps allowances are already made for that.
You're lucky Sparex(and Vapormatic btw) supply that cable as I need one for my 3cx and can only get it,so far,from JCB and it's 3 times the price of yours! Must measure it myself as the old cable is 2305mm and I might get away with something shorter that Sparex do have.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #57 by Tillywolves » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:52 pm

I only have half a drive cable, as someone has chopped it where it enters the cab, so I cant measure the length.

agrimax

Post #58 by agrimax » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:09 am

Try using a piece of bullwire and position it where the cable would run,between tacho and drive.Measure it and see if it is around 1780mm or less.

Topic author
Tillywolves

Post #59 by Tillywolves » Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:00 pm

Does anyone know what temperature the thermostat is ? There are two available, a 74 and an 82 degree C.

Had her running this evening and although the engine was hot, the radiator was stone cold. Took off the thermostat off and ran it again. Lovely warm water, surging through the radiator, so I know that the pump is ok..

http://www.tractorspareparts.co.uk/13h7508-thermostat-deg-p-139.html

agrimax

Post #60 by agrimax » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Richard,Have just noticed in the workshop manual that the discs on machines up to m/c no 129502 were 6.5'' and from m/c no.129503 were 7''. As you have a mk 3,perhaps yours should have 7'' discs although I would expect them to be a JCB part only.But would also think the 6.5 '' would fit too.Since you have them out you can measure up anyway if you do decide to replace them.
The 82 degree stat seems to be more common.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”