3cx 1984 BURNING SMELL

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
The Jannie

3cx 1984 BURNING SMELL

Post #1 by The Jannie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:34 pm

advice please my 3 cx if given a bit of power to get out of heavy mud for a short time gives a small burning smell once clear of nearly stuck mud all ok PROBLEM 2 rear arm when lifting full bucket of heavy clay and slew left or right will creak a bit when only half full no noise any advice please on my problems

JimL
1984 3cx sitemaster/leyland 270
R.E.M.E. motto you break it we fix it tomorrow

Topic author
The Jannie

Re: 3cx 1984 BURNING SMELL

Post #2 by The Jannie » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:46 pm

The Jannie wrote:advice please my 3 cx if given a bit of power to get out of heavy mud for a short time gives a small burning smell once clear of nearly stuck mud all ok PROBLEM 2 rear arm when lifting full bucket of heavy clay and slew left or right will creak a bit when only half full no noise any advice please on my problems

JimL
No heads up guys please

essexpete

Post #3 by essexpete » Sun Oct 12, 2014 5:18 pm

Creaking wear and tear on an old machine like my knees. It could be in the slew mechanism or even the whole king post twisting on the sliding rails.

Burning smell? Is the engine and ancillaries fairly clean and oil free?

Hugh Jaleak
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Hugh Jaleak » Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:30 pm

Give everything a good greasing, may stop creaking, otherwise as said, old machines will creak and groan, especially if your working her hard! Ditto if she's working hard to power through heavy mud, then the engine and transmission are working a lot harder than normal and will get hotter as a result. Unless you can actually see and identify where the smoke/smell is coming from then it's difficult to advise further. Seen 3C's overheat when being worked hard, one had a man on the front controls and another on the back, trying to get it out of a sticky patch! :lol:

Topic author
The Jannie

Post #5 by The Jannie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:Give everything a good greasing, may stop creaking, otherwise as said, old machines will creak and groan, especially if your working her hard! Ditto if she's working hard to power through heavy mud, then the engine and transmission are working a lot harder than normal and will get hotter as a result. Unless you can actually see and identify where the smoke/smell is coming from then it's difficult to advise further. Seen 3C's overheat when being worked hard, one had a man on the front controls and another on the back, trying to get it out of a sticky patch! :lol:
Thanks guys will gunk engine etc and try and see anything burning smell only NO SMOKE

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”