spun a bearing jcb 3c111

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
davew2

spun a bearing jcb 3c111

Post #1 by davew2 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Where do i start :( my jcb 3c 111 has always had a knocking engine but always started and run on all four cylinders so i left well alone anyway i was using it yesterday and it started to make a noise what i would have said sounded like piston ring scraping the bore so i stopped it when i came to start it again it was locking up then freeing its self. It did start but was very noisy so decided to take the head off to have a look (the head gasket had been leaking for a while so had to be done anyway) expecting to find a damaged bore and piston to my suprise they all are fine but number three was a tad too low so itook the sump off i found number three conrod had spun its bearing :evil: .What i would like to know is would this cause my engine to lock up, it spun real free on starter motor with head off(ie no compression) also what price is a regrind these days its about 25 years since i last had a crank done :roll:

Jeremy Rowland

Re: spun a bearing jcb 3c111

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:01 pm

Yes Dave that would most certainly cause your engine to knock and to lock up; you may find that the crank is scrap and beyond grinding, it also could be cracked so I would look for a decent second hand lump if I was you.
I have reground cranks in the past and severe journal damage can reveal cracks that only become apparent when the crank is on the grinder, sorry to give you bad news.

Jeremy

Topic author
davew2

Post #3 by davew2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:54 am

Cheers jeremy ive been looking for a engine but they seem a bit thin on the ground or need rebuilding

topkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by topkit » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:25 pm

I have a spare engine that came out of a 3C that had a fire, i keep meaning to put it into my workshop and give it the once over as the fire burnt some of the rubber items, i sourced a new fuel filter head and starter motor and a fuel pump etc, how much do complete engines sell for nowadays as i may be persuaded to part with it!

Steelfab

Post #5 by Steelfab » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:33 am

There have been a few Leyland 4.98 engines on eBay recently at around £400 upwards which is very reasonable if they only need a service

darklegend
Flag: Great Britain

Post #6 by darklegend » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:29 pm

I was at a farm today in North Wales collecting a trenching bucket. He had a 3C engine half stripped, looked ready to go to the scrap man, may sell you the crank if you still need one. PM me and i'll pass his details if you are interested. Rest of the 3C was there in bits and half chopped up too.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”