Jcb 3cx 4 3rd gear issue.

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Muttsnutts

Jcb 3cx 4 3rd gear issue.

Post #1 by Muttsnutts » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:39 pm

Right here we go again. Bought this digger and everything seemed ok when driving around in the small yard where I got it from, when its in 3rd in a straight line it stays in 3rd but if you blip the throttle or shuttle into reverse and apply power the. It jumps out into neatural. All other gears are ok. Does any one know what may be causing it or how to fix and if its a big costly job or a smaller simpler fix that a semi skilled person may be able to do ?. I guess 3rd would of been the gear used most. Thanks hope some one may be able to shed some light.

the_jcb_boy

Re: Jcb 3cx 4 3rd gear issue.

Post #2 by the_jcb_boy » Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:40 pm

I've been working with my 3cx for some time now, doing all sorts of jobs and i never used 3rd gear in reverse yet. I use 1st and 2nd gear forward/reverse when i move dirt with the front bucket or work. I use 3rd and 4th gear only on the open road and only forward (3rd uphill and downhill). Don't have a clue what could be wrong but all i want to say is that 3rd and 4th in reverse are rarely used. Talked to some1 who has been working with diggers his entire life and he said that on construction sites only 1st and 2nd gears are used, 3rd and 4th when moving the maschine on the road from site to site (only forward motion).

essexpete

Re: Jcb 3cx 4 3rd gear issue.

Post #3 by essexpete » Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:13 pm

We had a Powertrain with the same trans as Dogsbollox and worked it as a loader picking up straw during several summers. Hard work on a transmission and often worked in 3rd but the issue would be overheating the shuttle /converter not the gearbox. Overheat the old borg w and there is soon damage.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”