jcb 3c3 1977 engine oil leak

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
mattnj

Re: jcb 3c3 1977 engine oil leak

Post #11 by mattnj » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:22 pm

So....I have traced the oil leak to the sump, which had a hole (hidden) drilled in it which was leaking! (why would the sump every be drilled with a self tapper in there!)

After a load of hours digging (it is doing a great job for a 1977 machine!) I have developed a new hydraulic leak, on the steering pump, which is bolted to the engine, it looks like a bit of a pig to get to, I think I can see 3 bolts/screws (some from front some from the rear) holding it to the engine.

Can someone confirm the prodecure for removing and servicing the seals on the steering pump? Anything i need to be aware of? or it is just a case of undoing the bolts 3 and pulling it off.....but mainly, how do i stop all the hydraulic oil draining out whilst the pump is off?

Lastly, there is a load of slop/play in the RH/LH action on the rear arm, I take it that is fairly common, is that an easy/medium/massive job to take on adjusting/repairing/replacing?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Mark.Rive

Post #12 by Mark.Rive » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:46 pm

The procedure for removing the steering pump is in the workshop manual you can find in the download section. Best to follow that really if you have not done one before. You can blank the feed for the steering, its separate to the main pump feed. Some people will say jack the front of the machine with the loader. but this only makes access harder. Remember to install some kind of ram lock on both rams if you raise the loader arms up. DO NOT prop the arms from the the ground!

Play in the slew is usually down to water in the slew (rack) system. Many people forget to drain this off and it always end up with water in it. Drain it off, flush it out and fill with EP90. You will be amazed at the results :thumbup: Again all this info is in the manual you can download Here JCB 2D, 2DS, 3, 3C, 3CS, 3D and 700 Backhoe Service Workshop Manual

Cheers Mark

shanbough

Post #13 by shanbough » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Hi,

Can you give me some more info on where I can find a "fire plug"?
I take it that has a 12v feed and a diesel feed?

I did search on eBay but nothing came up.

Yes it has a 12v feed. Got my feed from ignition switch (make sure you take it from the switch feed side). I also put a light beside the switch so i wouldnt accidently leave the switch on. Yes it has a diesel feed which i tapped into between the second filter and the pump. Just so you know I changed all the fuel pipes on mine to clear plastic ones, this will work out easier as you can get a click together junction for the the pipe which will require a reducer that will easily click into it because the inlet pipe on the plug is 2ml smaller than the pipe your tapping into if I remember. Clear pipe also makes it easy to spot air in the line when bleeding!!!!!! Sorry if this sounds confusing but its actually straight forward enough when you have the bits in your hand. I bought my parts in my local agri shop.Its in New Ross Co Wexford Ireland. Ferns Engineering is the name of the shop. From Ireland 051425439, outside Ireland 0035351425439. If you get bother finding stuff locally the lads there might deliver or they might tell you where you can source the parts close to you. Hope this helps...

Topic author
mattnj

Post #14 by mattnj » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:03 am

shanbough wrote:I have a jcb 3c2 which was a real pain to start, the man i bought it from always used easy start to save the battery. I stuck a fire plug in mine. Its a glow plug connected to the fuel line. I drilled out and threaded the required hole in the inlet manifold and wired it up to an old unused switch in the cab. Now for a digger that used to be impossible to start will start first time after leaving it heat for about ten seconds. Simple job that will make life so much easier!!!!!

is it somehting like this:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140646177956

and it is installed where exactly? In the inlet manifold?

martyn williams

Post #15 by martyn williams » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:27 am

This devise is known as a thermo start, I would just go for a glow plug fitted in the manifold.Much safer :lol:
Martyn

martyn williams

Post #16 by martyn williams » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:32 am

I have one fitted to my Hydrovane compressor fited with a Perkins 4107,its original and works ok.but if too much fuel dribbles onto the heater it will scare the crap out of you :lol:
Martyn

Topic author
mattnj

Post #17 by mattnj » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:34 am

B100 LOADER wrote:I have one fitted to my Hydrovane compressor fited with a Perkins 4107,its original and works ok.but if too much fuel dribbles onto the heater it will scare the crap out of you :lol:
Martyn

so how do they work? you drill and tap the manifold?
they have a diesel feed and you apply 12v, what stops fuel still going in to the manifold when it is running?

shanbough

Post #18 by shanbough » Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:24 am

Yes that is the lad you need. Standard plug might not generate enough heat in those old machines unless you use two or more. The diesel only passes through the plug when its heated, just remember to switch off the plug once you have started thats why its a good idea to put in a little indicator light as I said. On the inlet manifold (the housing where the pipe from the air intake connects to)there shhould be the old plug still threaded into it that was used along time ago with the old plunger in the cab. This should thread out and leave you with a hole. As I remember this hole I then drilled to make it wider with a 20ml drill bit. I then threaded out the new hole, I cant for the life of me remember what thread was used as I just borrowed it. Just remember to take it easy as it drills out very easily as it just an alluminium housing. If you cant find the old plug just find another spot to drill out.

Topic author
mattnj

Post #19 by mattnj » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Which size and type of blanking plugs do I need for the 3 steering hoses? Looks like 3 x 5/8 but not 100% sure...also are they straight male plugs or tapered/conical plugs?

I need
to order some!
Thanks

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”