3CX 1989 engine??

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Julian

Re: 3CX 1989 engine??

Post #11 by Julian » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:31 am

kerniki wrote:I boufght a filter kit from diggerparts.com (very helpfull guys as it goes) not had a look at what's included but hoping all teh important stuff is included.

So long as the filters come from a quality source. With cheaper 'budget' filters (probably including the likes of Vapormatic) you risk the possibility of them having little by way of filter substrate in them, or anti-drain back valves etc.

Julian.

mosta

Post #12 by mosta » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:57 am

Its a good idea to change all the oils at this stage, particularly if you have just bought the machine.
Definitely change the transmission fluid and filter, i use JCB special transmission oil instead of the red ATF stuff for my 1989 model.
Also change the back and front (if its 4WD) axle oils. Clean out and change the oil in the kingpost sump as well, this often gets overlooked. Clean out the fuel sediment bowl and change the filter.
If you think it has not been serviced for a while it might be worth while going the last bit and changing the hydraulic oil as well.
I know it adds up in money terms but at least you will then know that the machine is in good shape. Whenever i change a machine or tractor i always replace all oils and filters, then it is easier to keep track of service intervals.
I nearly forgot, give a good greasing from front to back.
Best of luck with it.

Topic author
kerniki

Post #13 by kerniki » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:52 pm

got it, looking at the manual it talks of LSD or non LSD diffs with different gear oil for each, I have no idea when these LSD diffs came in & wether mine has them or not, any way to tell?

eta: engine oil went fine, fitted the new fuel filter & now have an air lock, grrrrrrrr

philwheelton
Flag: Great Britain

Post #14 by philwheelton » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:22 am

89 3CX will have wet brake oil in the rear axle and gear oil in the front axle and hub's ,should not have LSD , If you fit a new fuel filter bleed through the feed to the cold start it will not upset the rest of the system and start stright up and should not air lock, if it's got an air lock bleed the pump two 8mm bleed screws crack the injector pipes off and spin the engine over til fuel comes out of the pipes do them back up it should start

Topic author
kerniki

Post #15 by kerniki » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:54 am

thanks Phill

I had gone by the book for the bleeding & seems I did ok as it turned out the reason for non start was some dodgy electrics by previous owner, all tidies up now & firing ok.

noted on the axle / hub oils, will tackle after the hydraulic filter, have skipped the tranny fluid change for now as I cant get the right oil without a 2hr drive to Bordeaux :( given the runaround yesterday by a different JCB dealer, oh fun!

getting there (slowly)

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”