Oh Dear!!!!!!!!!!

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
spud22

Oh Dear!!!!!!!!!!

Post #1 by spud22 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:02 pm

Wel, the D4 project was put on hold so I've been working on my JCB 3C2. Put the recon head on today, she fired up after a short time bleeding. Was going to run her for 45 m ins to get her hot. I noticed bluey white smoke from the exhaust, thought it would clear, it didn't then after 30 mins saw oil dripping from the exhaust manifold - it's got a small hole in it on the bend and it was dripping down so I shut her off. Left her for a couple of hours and just tried to start her up again but she wasn;t having it. No oil on the rad cap or water on the dip stick but it has used a bit of oil. Any thoughts kind chaps? It's a 4/98. Cheeers, Spud

martyn williams

Re: Oh Dear!!!!!!!!!!

Post #2 by martyn williams » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:51 pm

If its throwing out oil of the exhaust is sounds like a broken/worn piston ring,not a good sign.Blue exhaust means shes burning oil. Maybe a re ring and deglaze the bores will cure the problem.More money to spend :dizzy:
Martyn

Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:54 am

Steve, drop the exhaust manifold completely off and see exactly where the oil has come from first :think: At least you will know if its one cylinder that has the problem with it, then remove the head again and I would suggest that if the motor was not burning oil before and it looks like the oil has come from only the one cylinder then have a look and make sure that the valve guide seals were fitted correctly on the re-con head before proceeding to strip further.
Hope that helps.

Jeremy

martyn williams

Post #4 by martyn williams » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:21 am

Thats a good point,maybe the cylinder head guide seals are missing ,Did the engine throw out oil before the head was changed ? Hope its just the head and you don't have to do a re ring job.
Martyn

Topic author
spud22

Post #5 by spud22 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:24 pm

......... thanks Marty and Jeremy, she fired up this morning with a squirt of easy Start but then stopped. She was burning a drop of oitl before the re con head. Thought I'd try the easy option first for the sake of a head gasket but no. Guess it's off with the head and a ring repacment. Will take the exhaust manifod off first just to see.

One of my previous posts I asked how to get the sump bash plate off as I knew it was probably the rings lol - I'll learn the hard way ha ha. Thanks guys. Will keep you posted.

Marty, I'l give that D4 another go next year when the son comes over.

Steve

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”