JCB 3CIII leaking from the loader valve

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

Topic author
Drott TD6
Flag: Ireland

JCB 3CIII leaking from the loader valve

Post #1 by Drott TD6 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:41 pm

My JCB 3CIII has sprung a big leak from the loader valve. It's the three lever Cessna type and the leak seems to occur when the bucket lift rams are operated (lever nearest the inside), especially when you are pushing the bucket down and seems to be coming from the front end of the valve block where there is a cover on that section of the valve secured by two screws (No 6 in picture). I looked in the manual and can only see two o-rings on the spool assembly and I assume the one nearest the front has failed (No 9 in the picture).

Is it possible to fix this without taking the whole valve out of the machine?
Can you get at it by taking off the cover then removing bits 10-14?
Does anyone know the o-ring size off-hand (metric or imperial?)

I really don't want to have to take the valve out as the manual implies that the rear wheel has got to come off to get at it and:
a: The wheel looks very heavy
b: The wheel nuts were probably tightened by King Kong on one of his angry days

img073.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lasvegas85

Re: JCB 3CIII leaking from the loader valve

Post #2 by lasvegas85 » Tue May 04, 2010 8:40 pm

You have oring at the top (ref 920/00168) and in you valve bloc you have another one bigger ref 2401/0203...

On each level you have the same...
regards
Michel

Topic author
Drott TD6
Flag: Ireland

Post #3 by Drott TD6 » Tue May 04, 2010 10:30 pm

Thank you, are those are JCB part numbers?

By the way, I fixed the leak, the cover (No 6) was very loose, tightening the bolts holding it to the valve seems to have cured the leak but I may order some o rings just to be safe.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #4 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue May 04, 2010 10:38 pm

Paul, I can't say that I've ever taken a hydraulic valve block to pieces before but I cannot see any reason why you could not remove the spool from the valve block that has the leak and replace the "o"rings.
Obviously thats assuming there is enough access to get the valves innards out, I would also think you should be able to buy a dedicated seal kit for this valve, and not just from a JCB dealer but a good hydraulic supplier but thats just a hunch.
The main thing to do is to make sure that all the pressure is relieved from the system before attempting to take things apart.
It may also be a case that the valve itself is worn and not just the "o" ring but only taking it to pieces will confirm this.
Hope this helps.

Jeremy

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”