1983 JCB 3CX Water Flood damage Help advice URGENT

Discuss loaders/backhoes here

essexpete

Re: 1983 JCB 3CX Water Flood damage Help advice URGENT

Post #31 by essexpete » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:42 am

gecko.cx wrote:
agrimax wrote:The hubs in question came in on the last of the grey cab models with their 5 stud axles and carried on through to present day. The early machines from white to black and on to the first greys were eight stud axles without reduction hubs at the wheels.

Got it - thanks!
Always hard to keep track of all the mid-model changes!

essexpete wrote:I am no oil expert but an EP oil suitable for limited slip diffs might do the job. I used something like that in a Spicer axle on a Manitou when an UTTO seem to make the LS and brakes really bang and chatter.

EP additives are best avoided unless specified as they can become corrosive which eats the phosphor-bronze bushes and thrust bearings.

Extreme pressure additive

I assume that is why EP is not used in synchro gearboxes?

Topic author
Munchkinman
Flag: Australia

Post #32 by Munchkinman » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:23 am

As agrimax said i removed the side plate and removed what was left of the Hyd fluid. The rubber plate between is a home jobby hence i guess the silicon to help seal it. I managed to get the return hyd filter out, again as agrimax said had to loosen the bolts for the fuel filter to get it out.
I greased every nipple that i could see as per the manual, for the love of me i could not find any on the rear axel near the wheels. plus there was one on the front drive shaft that i could not even get my hand in there, might be a little easier when i can lift the front loader.
There is no hyd suction strainer behind the hyd tank.
So i am ready for all filters, i can get all bar one tomorrow (most roads are open but 2-3hr delays getting through them still because of flooding) which is the hyd filter which has to be shipped up form Sydney.'
i intended to do the rear axel and slew as soon as i can get it started.
Very anxious now to try and get it running, even if i get everything else ready i have to wait till next week for the hyd filter. just trying to prevent any rusting as quick as possible.
Hardest part now i guess will be once everything is fitted is bleeding the fuel system to start.
Again thanks for all for you valuable knowledge.

TrevorJ

Post #33 by TrevorJ » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:59 pm

Expect more rain tomorrow ... could be just a bother, but ...

gecko.cx

Post #34 by gecko.cx » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:30 pm

essexpete wrote:I assume that is why EP is not used in synchro gearboxes?

In a perfect world, EP additives wouldn't be necessary - obviously we don't live in a perfect world!
A well designed gear tooth will have pure rolling contact (with the next tooth) and a correctly selected oil will prevent metal to metal contact. Extreme loads, impact loads, hypoid gear sets (very high shear) and high load, slow rotation plain bearing (eg. bucket pins) are all situations where the boundary lubrication layer fails to prevent metal to metal contact and you need the EP additives.
(well, that's the short version)

Munchkinman wrote: there was one on the front drive shaft that i could not even get my hand in there.

The idiot who rebuilt my pump drive-shaft put the (front) X in with the nipple facing forward where it's impossible to get a chuck in there. I was only able to grease that joint when I had the shaft disconnected to replace the fan belts

Topic author
Munchkinman

Post #35 by Munchkinman » Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:05 am

Hi all,

I received the Hydraulic filter Friday so i have now given the machine a full service with all oils, fuel and filters.

So today i tried starting, at first nothing, not even ignition light. worked out it was the fuse on the dash.
Bleed everything as per manual and everything i found on the forums. But unfortunately no go. she cranks but does not turn over.
The 2 bleeds on the fuel have fuel after priming them and also on the filter itself.
When cracking the lines from the fuel pump to the injectors i don't see any fuel. I cracked all of them and then turned the motor over and only on number 3 there is a very small amount of fuel, now i assuming these should gush out. So process of elimination i am gathering this is a fuel pump issue. I guess i should start here before looking at the injectors????
please let me know if im on the right track here???
Is there anyway i can tell if it is the fuel pump, going under water could this cause any issues with it??

Thanks again for all the help and advise........

essexpete

Post #36 by essexpete » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:07 am

I can't think that if it was running before the flood and you have flushed through that any real damage has occurred. There is is a small filter in the pump inlet that may be clogged. I have never had to take one out and I understand you need to be careful not to lose anything and keep the order of the parts.
Have you a good flow out of the filter housing?

Topic author
Munchkinman

Post #37 by Munchkinman » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi Essexpete,

Sorry for my newbieness and lack of knowledge, Where abouts on the housing do you mean, flow from the fuel pump to the injectors or to the fuel filter??
Thanks

essexpete

Post #38 by essexpete » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:03 pm

The feed in to the injector pump. Perhaps someone might have a link to a previous thread on CMN?

Jeremy Rowland

Post #39 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:09 pm

Peet, is this the filter you are talking about no13 on this picture?

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #40 by essexpete » Sun Mar 13, 2022 4:13 pm

https://youtu.be/h26p78YZIr4
Go to about 8 mins, although you do not need to remove the transfer pump.

Return to “Loaders/Backhoes”