ts 24

Discuss scrapers here

denis carthy
Flag: Great Britain

Re: ts 24

Post #21 by denis carthy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:27 am

What were the no-cab versions like to drive in the winter?

No winter cab anythings were appalling most times especially on the cumberland sections of the M6, Alfred Mac & his henchman 'Ted Whittle drift through the mists of youthful long gone memory as well as Hamptons A1M on the eastern side.

denis carthy

Post #22 by denis carthy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:31 am

PS to above......there was a plant hire outfit from Durham somewhere around then called 'Cataplant' all their mounts had heaters in & on the odd occasion I came across one the operators were quite clearly more relaxed & comfortable than those of us lucky enough to have a mount in winter

Forster
Flag: Mauritius

Post #23 by Forster » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:04 pm

Shellabear Price had TS24s back in the early 60s without cabs. In fact I don't remember any of Shellabears scrapers or dozers having the luxury of a cab. I worked with them on the Tinsley Park, Sheffield site in the winter of 1960. On that site there was a dozen or so 24s some of which were on hire from Blackwood Hodge. There was also Shellabears DW21s again without cabs. Rough days and nights but we survived. As usual with that company they employed very capable operators.

Dah

Post #24 by Dah » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:43 pm

What was the main point of not having a cab - cost or your were better off without one due to fumes etc?!

Dave

Jeremy Rowland

Post #25 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:46 pm

Dah wrote:What was the main point of not having a cab - cost or your were better off without one due to fumes etc?!

Dave

Cost was the main issue I think cabs were optional extras; also cabs were not considered to be required in hotter climates until the advent of air-conditioned cabs, nothing to do with fumes, in those days engines were both smoky and noisy, plus of course you did not have the HSE telling you what you could and could not do.

Jeremy

Return to “Scrapers”