Scraper Loaded with Excavator

Discuss scrapers here

Topic author
chrisdee

Scraper Loaded with Excavator

Post #1 by chrisdee » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:49 am

In the latest Link (caterpillar club) magazine there are a few photos of a D8 and box being loaded by an excavator on a topsoil stripping job. Anyone got any ideas on why this is being done instead of the scraper loading itself. The D8 and box look in good condition and well cared for so I dont think its that the scraper is broken. Seems a lot of extra cost in an excavator plus operator to do a job the scraper can already do itself, and probably a lot faster.

Jeremy Rowland

Re: Scraper Loaded with Excavator

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:48 pm

I would take a guess that it was probably something to do with ground conditions? :think:

Jeremy

nick lamb

Re: Scraper Loaded with Excavator

Post #3 by nick lamb » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I saw that too Chris.The tailgate was stuck forward too allowing only half boxes!
Some times with worn scraper floors and turned cutting edges muck would creep under the tailgate and jam it up abit.you could soon end up with a few ton of hard clay to dig out by hand.Bad driving really.....been there and done it!!!.Nice 68A as you say.a credit to it's owner.
As for loading with a digger,I guess they could just be finishing the job off in a tight corner or something??

Return to “Scrapers”