Cat 615C Elevating scraper

Discuss scrapers here

nick lamb

Re: Cat 615C Elevating scraper

Post #11 by nick lamb » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:05 pm

great find here Jeremy,these two are pearlers.They are mint and it's nice to see them working.I was actually on one of these things on thursday near my owm yard.A friend of mine has a 613B with a V8 motor in it.I cracked it up with him whilst in his yard and it ran sweet.The chaines are shot but other than that it's a great find.
I've seen a 623 and a 633 elevator before but I've never driven one or worked along side one.
My one brief foray into motorscrapers was many years ago with the Terex variety and did ok with them but sold up after the job was complete as I don't do really big muckshifts.Tractor and boxes are more suitable for my needs.Have done plenty of work on other peoples scrapers in the pas with Cat 631C's being my favourite :thumbup:

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by modelman093 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:31 am

nicky lamb wrote:great find here Jeremy,these two are pearlers.They are mint and it's nice to see them working.I was actually on one of these things on Thursday near my own yard.A friend of mine has a 613B with a V8 motor in it.I cracked it up with him whilst in his yard and it ran sweet.[b]The chains are shot but other than that it's a great find.
I've seen a 623 and a 633 elevator before but I've never driven one or worked along side one.
::

Is chain and elevator wear a significant operating cost? Presumably there is a saving to be made as no pusher tractor is needed.

Angus

nick lamb

Post #13 by nick lamb » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:59 am

I guess that they would be big money and timely to replace but I really am just guessing.they are perfect for soil stripping and some cut and fill work on small jobs as you don't need a team of them or a pusher.No good for heavier work though as the elevator restricts what you can load in themlooking at the pics on thise site you would be hard pushed to do the job more cost effective.cheap to move,cheap to fuel,work in a confined site,can work by itself.on the downside you need to find a good driver and a site agent that knows what the hell you're talking about when you are looking for work for them! :thumbup:

Ian Fletcher1970
Flag: Great Britain

Post #14 by Ian Fletcher1970 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:44 pm

Nice One Jeremy :claphands: :claphands:

Did you see the Millers Classic Plant Video (One of the early ones) It featured a Michigan Elevating Scraper

All the Best

Ian

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #15 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:15 pm

Ian Fletcher1970 wrote:Nice One Jeremy :claphands: :claphands:

Did you see the Millers Classic Plant Video (One of the early ones) It featured a Michigan Elevating Scraper

All the Best

Ian

No Ian I did not see the Miller Classic Plant video, I must get hold of a copy at sometime. The last time there were any scrapers working close to where I live was back when VHE Terex machines were used to build the Black Country Spine road, and you know I have forgotten what year that was :oops: :oops: :think: must be old age!! :lol:

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #16 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:52 pm

Well I decided to call round today and see if any of the machines were in action and to my luck they were.
Took boat loads of pictures and I will post quite a few when I re-size them.
I did wonder at one stage if I might be posting some of these pictures in the "accidents and bogged machines" section of this forum, if you follow the sequence of pictures then from the third picture in the scraper is actually in trouble :shock:

The problem is that the soil is very very loose and not compact and if you get too close to the edge then it gives way and the scraper driver soon found himself bogged.
Fortunately the seventh cavalry arrived in the form of a Kobelco 360 machine and between them they freed up the scraper.

I watched as the scraper driver tried to free the machine by lowering the bowl and raising it but it was amazing just how quickly the machine bogged itself down into the soft soil.

I did have a chat with the two operators after they had finished for the day, apparently the site is being prepared for some soccer pitches and sports ground, there is going to be at least one dozer on site too so I will be returning to get more pictures when the chance arrives.
Will hopefully post more latter on.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack

Post #17 by Jack » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:00 pm

Nice shots mate, cool kobelco wheelie there!
Last edited by Jack on Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Drew

Post #18 by Nick Drew » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:02 pm

Great Photos Jeremy !! :thumbup:

Very lucky to have been able to catch a scraper in action ....can't say I have seen one in the flesh since I was about 13 yrs old !! So quite a long time ago !! :lol: :lol:

Nick :thumbup:

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #19 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:06 pm

Nick Drew wrote:Great Photos Jeremy !! :thumbup:

Very lucky to have been able to catch a scraper in action ....can't say I have seen one in the flesh since I was about 13 yrs old !! So quite a long time ago !! :lol: :lol:

Nick :thumbup:

Yes Nick it's sadly a rare sight these days to find any scrapers in action, I also took my camcorder but haven't viewed what I have taken yet.............. steady hand but wondering mind if you don't watch what your recording then you find your suddenly recording the sky and not the machine :lol:

Jeremy

nick lamb

Post #20 by nick lamb » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:20 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:
Ian Fletcher1970 wrote:Nice One Jeremy :claphands: :claphands:

All the Best

Ian

No Ian I did not see the Miller Classic Plant video, I must get hold of a copy at sometime. The last time there were any scrapers working close to where I live was back when VHE Terex machines were used to build the Black Country Spine road, and you know I have forgotten what year that was :oops: :oops: :think: must be old age!! :lol:

Jeremy

Hi jeremy,I think that was about 1999 ish.VHE had some TS24's and a couple of D9's on hire to Mac's.There were some new Cat 631E's on that job too.

Return to “Scrapers”