Merrimans Scrapers

Discuss scrapers here

CATD10T

Re: Merrimans Scrapers

Post #11 by CATD10T » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:04 pm

tctractors wrote:Mark, the name rings a bell as just the other day I feel sure Colin Pardoe was talking about cold places to work and Mark Gravelle in the same bunch of verbs??
tctractors

Yes, out in Mongolia on a coal mine.

Ask Colin about a broken leg in my wedding.
He was my best man...

Mighty crack...

MG.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #12 by tctractors » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:33 am

Well Mark, its a small World without doubt, Colin and his Dad (George) are way up on my glad to know em' list, I have Colins 22A motor into bits at the moment, Colins son also a George is turning out to be some good machine driver, he put in a water main last week with an excavator (not bad for a 6 yr old) the trench was to bone and perfect, sadly the lad is still a bit small to drive the Volvo dumpers fast, but give the young man another year and I think he will be able to reach the retarder peddle, obviously Colin has big plans for the young man having just invested in a new "Plant Yard" (House) so it looks like young George will be out on Hire every weekend untill he can get out of School as Colin is not a TV sit down type liking to keep busy, the first over hung Scrapers I worked with were CAT631A's (cable control) then 631C's with a ruck of them their TS14's, I could speak about my first trip on a C and how I turned hard into the cut area and the thing down shifted (no shift lock on, donk) oh and the box was up-ish near max the nose dug in a good bit??? the slasher later said to me, Tony I see you worked out where the Muck goes in em'

My Downshift light is flashing tctractors

CATD10T

Post #13 by CATD10T » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:40 am

Yes we sold Colin that 22A a good few years ago.
Was me ol mans first Tractor.
My mum had tears in her eyes when it left the yard in Wales.
Infact one of the last jobs I did for Col was change out the Main Clutch.
Happy Days...

andrew campbell

Post #14 by andrew campbell » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:57 pm

Alan,

Did you know Tom Mc Culloch, I worked for MMC crushing for a while in mirfield West Yorkshire with his father and younger son.

donbuz

Post #15 by donbuz » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:30 pm

i worked on raglan bypass for merrimans with some maltby lads and joe and charlie green i had a black morris minor

taurus MK1

Post #16 by taurus MK1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:47 pm

:gooodpost: Great film,thanks for posting, what ever happened to all those Euclid dump trucks ??????????????????

Cheers John :rockon:

tctractors

Post #17 by tctractors » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:46 pm

Mark from Mongolia, any chance of a few photo's of the Coal Mine and things of interest. I have no plans on ever going to the place, but I would love to see what I might be missing?? Colin sends his regards and tells me it was his foot that he calved down with just pre to your Wedding, he did not have it pinned as he did not want to miss the Event, (read free "Beer") anyhow when you manage to come back to the U.K. bring a rain coat as you might need it.

tctractors

nick lamb

Post #18 by nick lamb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:31 pm

Hi Mark,Am I right in assuming that it's the same Gravelle as Lou Gravelle from south Wales?.You must be one of his sons.I remember your TS 24's at Risley Landfill,Warrington on hire to McArdles.If I recall,his sons did all the fitting and the scrapers were in first class order with two D9H's and D8H in good shape too.I had chance of putting one of my D8's in there at the time but knew the heavy clay you would find and figured it would be mauling 24's through the haulroads and up the tip all day long.That's best left for D9's :D .A good friend of mine had the shout(Billy M'cGeady)I worked in Scotland with Billy and bought a TS14B off him years ago.I also met with my old fitter and friend(Bill Geary) on that site.We first worked together about 1988 on some D9's and TS24B's belonging to Profbreak(Derby).
Some pics of Gravelles equipment would be wellcome here.Have you still got them?
Best regards,
Nicky Lamb.

nick lamb

Post #19 by nick lamb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:40 pm

youngchaz wrote:Alan,

Did you know Tom Mc Culloch, I worked for MMC crushing for a while in mirfield West Yorkshire with his father and younger son.

Hi Young Chaz,I first met Tommy back in 1992 at Lockerbie.He was forman fitter for James Moore Earthmoving(Ballyclaire).He was looking after about 20 TS24B's at the time with some D9H's and a terrible D8K.Denvor and Nigal were in the area too helping out.I sold Tommy and Denvor their first D8 and box about 1995 and did a few other deals over the years with them.We also bought a D8 together around 1998 ish(since sold).I recall them with about 4 D8 and boxes and a D8N they got from Merrmans.I lost touch with them when they went into the crushing game.If you see them please send them my best regards.
Nicky Lamb

nick lamb

Post #20 by nick lamb » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:46 pm

This pic was taken about 1997 and shows Tommy and Denver.They didn't have much work on so Denver was driving this D8 for me at Widnes and Tommy was building a spare D8 tranny up for me.He also made a D9 torque up for me too out of various bits and bobs.
We went out a couple of times on the drink.Ended up in Brampton Jail :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Scrapers”