How many left?

Discuss scrapers here

Topic author
Dowsett Boy

How many left?

Post #1 by Dowsett Boy » Tue May 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Does anyone know how many Companies are operating Motorscrapers in Britain nowadays.
All I ever see are dumptrucks on jobs these days.Thirty years ago every major firm seemed to operate a fleet.
I imagine anyone would have job getting a ticket to operate a scraper these days .
In the good old days I used to love giving the operators a spell on a 24 or 637 I prefered the 637 with the cushion hitch.
Remember the first time up the top soil heap I was nearly topsoiling my pants felt great afterwards .
Once you showed you were competent, foreman and agents did not care so long as the machines kept running.
No hi viz ,silly safety tickets,site inductions etc what I would give to go back to them days sounding like sentimental old man.

martyn williams

Re: How many left?

Post #2 by martyn williams » Tue May 18, 2010 8:25 pm

You right Tony,I am all for safety but things have gone ott in the last 15 years.The only motorscrapers at work around here are at the powerstations on the coal stock pile
A good mate of mine Karl Boston has a 631 in preservation but the Terex scrapers in the photo have been cut up.Very sad
Martyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mike d550

Post #3 by Mike d550 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Banks still use 631 and 637's from time to time on the opencast sites and Bechers have 657's, 651's, 637's and possibly others at various sites around the UK.

I agree its a shame there are not many scraper fleets kicking about and think some of the health and safety on sites is a little OTT!

Bring back the good old days!

Regards

Mike D550

P.S just remembered Blackwells had some 637G's but am not sure if they still have them!

Topic author
Dowsett Boy

Post #4 by Dowsett Boy » Wed May 19, 2010 11:00 pm

If I won the lottery Iwould buy a scraper just for the crack.It is sad to hear there are so few left .
On a purely personal note I always found scrapers a more interesting mount than a dump truck the little time I spent on 769 time seemed to drag.
It is nice to know people like Karl Boston are preserving our earthmoving heritage.
Less than an hour to check my lottery ticket who knows my own scraper could be here sooner than later I can dream.
psCMN members should record any sightings of motorscrapers as they are close extinction in Britain :cry:

SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by SRB » Mon May 24, 2010 11:05 am

blackwells are running 631G's, 37's were sold a couple o year back.

SB
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

martyn williams

Post #6 by martyn williams » Mon May 24, 2010 11:48 am

Karl's 631 was "roaded" to a local vintage rally a few years back.It made a lot of people look around as it passed throught the villages enroute to Pencoed.
I will have to scan the photos I took that day as the beast left a trail of black smoke as it travelled through the villages..
Martyn
Photo of a Cat at Uskmouth powerstation, Newport
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IHIAM

Post #7 by IHIAM » Wed May 26, 2010 5:22 am

Dowsett Boy wrote:If I won the lottery Iwould buy a scraper just for the crack.It is sad to hear there are so few left .
On a purely personal note I always found scrapers a more interesting mount than a dump truck the little time I spent on 769 time seemed to drag.
It is nice to know people like Karl Boston are preserving our earthmoving heritage.
Less than an hour to check my lottery ticket who knows my own scraper could be here sooner than later I can dream.
psCMN members should record any sightings of motorscrapers as they are close extinction in Britain :cry:

==============================================
an did ye win.........

martyn williams

Post #8 by martyn williams » Thu May 27, 2010 11:29 am

Hello Andy
Great to see you on CMN.
A good lottery win would be fantastic.
I know what machines I would add to the collection.
A D9G, RB22 dragline,a D8 22a would do for starters,its nice to dream :think:
Martyn

bigkit
Flag: Great Britain

Post #9 by bigkit » Thu May 27, 2010 8:32 pm

Les Searle in Horsham still run some 637's if you ever need one to level the garden! :lol:

Topic author
Dowsett Boy

Post #10 by Dowsett Boy » Sat May 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Spotted a Cat613 elevating scraper on a low loader this afternoon parked in a layby on the A14 near Huntingdon.
It had Ace on the side,first actual sighting I have seen in years.

Return to “Scrapers”