dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Discuss scrapers here

poncho

Re: dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Post #41 by poncho » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:47 am

Hi Tony.My mobile number is`07811294778.If you would like to give me a bell It would be great to get together and have a chat about the good years of muckshifting. and if young Mash or any one else who remembers me would like to ring me it would be good to arrange an old s--tkickers reunion. in the meantime Tony we could meet at the Fleet or the village Inn or even the Monkey house for a drop of scrumpy and Ill get the bus home.

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #42 by tctractors » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:03 pm

Poncho, I will be happy to call you, I used to live near the Monkey House once, I had a house next to the Railway Inn at Defford, funiest thing there was 2 ex Hampton men lived at Defford, 1 used to drive a D8K for Motorways Plant Hire, his name was Tony like mine, he had Black as Hell Hair and was originaly from near Dublin, he was the typical type pilot with the 4 Knot Hanky, and a great smile that would make you feel good all day, the other was called Frank, sadly I only met them for a few days down on the Channel Tunnel Terminal, they have both sadly been posted to the final Muck Shift, the Cider House (the Monkey) is Mike Williams (twinning) main Office, he tells me it meets his requirments??? it must be the Magic Carpet he rides Home after a few jar's.
my down shift light is flashing tctractors

peter s

Post #43 by peter s » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:44 pm

hi poncho long time no see; this hasnt got any levers so i am finding it hard to drive.
peter s

poncho

Post #44 by poncho » Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi Peter. It was great to hear from you today. Some of the old muck shifters names you mentioned to day brought back some great memories. I went flying today with a friend and left my mobile in the aircraft, so I have to get up early to go to the airfield in case someone has booked the plane early. All my phone numbers are on there and I will be stuffed with out them. will ring you when I get it back. I was hoping to try to arrange an old muckshifters get together sometime. I will meet up with Tony Coates who lives not to far away and and yourself and any others we can get together, have a drink and talk a load of B-----ks about the old days, and those who are no longer with us. Dig it deep and tip it high. Speak to you soon.

peter s

Post #45 by peter s » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:29 pm

Hi Poncho; Iv been saying to Dougie Royle for awhile now

Hi Poncho; Iv been saying for a while now to Dougie Royle that we should try and get an X Hamptons men reunion organised while there are still quite a few left; I recon we must be down to less than half by now; we could get some feelers out and take it from there; it would be great to see some of the old faces again including yourself and have the craic once more.

MickColl
Flag: Great Britain

Post #46 by MickColl » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:20 am

Hello Guys I started with Dick Hampton in spring of 63 on the M5, Barry Gold gave me the start and told me to report to John Shaddock on the middle section, I was just turned 17 started on D8r + roller later had the blade and scraper on same machine, trained on blade by Jock Shannon who had a D7m, later that year I was sent to the north section with Bran Mash
who told me to wait and my machine would be here soon and to my suprise round the corner came a brand new 22a and 463 box !!! wow I had arrived.
I had many good years with Dick met him and Rosemary many times I worked on most of M5 down to Gloucester and M4 Hermatige section also Kennleworth Bypass, I rang Poncho this week and will meet up when he back from holiday it would be good to have a reunion before its to late, there are so many names on here that bring back good memories.

poncho

Post #47 by poncho » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:28 am

Hi fellas. Just got back from the greatest holiday ever in Egypt. Many thanks to Peter mick mash tony for the phone calls and messages. if we could arrange a date and place to meet maybe an Ibis or Premier inn and have an over nighter or two and have a proper get together whilst there are still a few of us left. If any of you are still in touch with any of Dicks pilots from the 60s and 70s put the idea of a reunion to them and see what the feedback is. I will answer your calls and messages soon. all the best. poncho.

peter s

Post #48 by peter s » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:02 pm

Carried my new bride over the threshold at 0230 on Sunday morning, mind you she has been stepping over it herself for the last 9 years, thought it about time that I made an honest women of her. At least ten old muckshifters at the bash,- Allan Dixon, Nick Jakeman, Mike Davies etc, dust and diesel fumes everywhere.

McGrath

Post #49 by McGrath » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:32 am

Just read Micheal Collins, (21 sept) mention of M4 Hermatige which brought some great memories flooding back for me. I was Agent for Dicks on that job, one of the few jobs I was ever on from day one, I actually unloaded the first tractor on site (an 8R of course!) throught to the final account. At the height of the job we had 16 x 631,s, 6 x 24's on hire from Shands plus 4 x 657's ex Frenches on loan from Bowmakers to compensate for late delivery of new 637's, not to mention a rake of 22A's and box. It's hard to believe that it was over 40 years ago, names that come to mind from that site, Tom Bruen, Dave Latham, Roddy Dunaway (RIP), Billy Graham, Pat Wisner, Father Ryan, The Long Duffy, the list goes on, which is more than can be say for my memory. That was the job where Dick famously got the Bentley blogged to the b... makers name and got Wisner to push it out with the 9. An other memory was the Fox and Hounds at Donnington, more muck shifted in there than on any site, not to mention the King Charles in Newbury. In those days the pubs in Newbury opened all day for the market, rained off thursdays were allways a bit fierse! Great crack, Cheers Chris

peter s

Post #50 by peter s » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:56 pm

Hi Chris, we have met in the past but I cant remember where, I drove and slashed for Dick from 1969 to 1975 at Seaforth, M4 Lambourne, M4 Morriston, M5 Chudleigh, M5 Taunton and M11 Sawbridgeworth where I jacked and joined Dave Lathom again who was then on for Public Works at Fairham. I was at a do a fortnight ago where quite a few old muckshifters came along which included Brian Wells, during some reminiscing I mentioned that I had seen your name on here along with a few others and Brian who lives about 9 miles from me in West Wales seemed impressed, maybe he might just appear on here like yourself and give us some of his knowledge as well. Well Chris got to go now will catch you again.

Return to “Scrapers”