dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Discuss scrapers here

John penfold

Re: dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Post #81 by John penfold » Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 pm

McGrath wrote:Woops, made a mess of that, where are the grandchildren when you need them? Try again. Hamptons News Letters, some years ago I found a rake of them in a box in the shed,from as early Port Talbot days, circa 1963 through to 72 M4. I gave them to Gerald Box who has a archive which he rather grandly calld The Hampton Papers. This could be the very vehicle to publish them. I was amused at the mention of Brian Wells having a boat, seem to remember a long saga of a boat back at Pembroke which ended up at the bottom. Chach you latter Cheers Chris

John penfold

Post #82 by John penfold » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:03 pm

adetoon wrote:Hello John Penfold,
Oh my, I remember your name, Dad often referred to you...

I would dearly love to see a photo, we don't have many, Arthur was 85 when he died my Mother out lived him for 4 & half years, she died Jan this year at 93, sadly she went a bit funny and threw all my Dads things away, incl all photos and she gave all his tools away, very sad as I was going to give it all to a museum but every time we went to visit something else was gone, she denied it and said she had been burgled?

How are you? Where abouts to you live now? Are you in touch with any of the old Dick Hampton lot?
I can remember the name Norman Shaddock, he was at school with me when we lived in Angle.
I wish he were alive now and could see these pages he would of been so thrilled to hear all these stories of time gone by..

Thank you so much for replying, I will send you my email address for the scan..
Best wishes - Ade Toon

John penfold

Post #83 by John penfold » Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi Ade,I do have a photo of Arther with Gordon Elson who was the general forman on the Lambourn job
your dad was site plant manager on that particular contract. He was always what I would recall as a dry comedian, and had a wicked sense of humour. I would be only too pleased to send you this photograph b y scan. my email is johnjepenfold@gmail.com.

I now live in Spain and have been here permenently for the past 19 years,
looking forward to hearing from you,
very best regards
john p

Forster
Flag: Mauritius

Post #84 by Forster » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:55 pm

Interesting to read about the old timers of the 60s & 70s with Dick Hampton. I worked for Dick briefly in '63 and again in '71. Belbrougton/Clent on TS14s under Ashton Reest (Gordon Elson on a 68a) and then to the M1 under Peter the German. Needless to say we parted company after refusing to man a shovel to let water off on a wet day.

Later on I did a spell on the Stoke job again with Ashton Reest, 631s & 637s, they all went off to Devon or Cornwall. I then retired from contracting and spent the following 20 years in Africa. Who remembers Ray Thirtle or Graham Sanders, that was the period. Is Elson still around ?

Jim M
Flag: Great Britain

Post #85 by Jim M » Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Picture of one of Dick Hampton scrapers in Lee Moor china clay works 1969-70 operated by the late Roger Champion.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mash

Post #86 by mash » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:38 pm

to everybody that knows dave southall (sackum) he passed away last week so sad ive known him since I left school mash

Joanne Garside

Post #87 by Joanne Garside » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:50 pm

Hi I'm after any old friends of Dave Southall aka Sackum.
Please get in touch my name's Joanne 07583 248786 thanks you.

concrete

Post #88 by concrete » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:19 am

Hi peter could we see the news sheets that would be great

denis carthy

Post #89 by denis carthy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:42 pm

John Penfold wrote:
I found a rake of them in a box in the shed,from as early Port Talbot days, circa 1963

DC
That draws back a few curtains to a window on the past, Chris Chaplin was agent on that job, that was about the 'rockiest' road I ever traveled in those days, plain hard rock scraped up in an 8R & box.....wow...did I ever do that :wtf:

My name was 'scouse' then on hamptons, blackwells etc, then was at the begining of my muckshifting days, after a hell of a cold winter on an Alice Chalmers at St Athens power station,....poncho, if you ever read this, were you in digs at kiveton park with Pat & Frank Ward?

bigkit

Post #90 by bigkit » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:39 pm

I've got a load of old Hamptons photos from Geoff Minns who worked hamptons workshop for years. Just got to work out how long it'll take to scan them all in.

Return to “Scrapers”