dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Discuss scrapers here

adetoon

Re: dick hampton scrabers in the 70 tis

Post #61 by adetoon » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:37 am

Hi,
I'm Ade Toon - Arthur Toon's daughter, Arthur worked for Dick Hamptons Earthmoving for many years!
Someone made a reference to him, he did sadly pass away on 23rd August 2008 in Burnham on Sea!
I would dearly love to hear any stories or see photo's of Arthur - he was a 'goon' as someone said always laughing - such a blaggard too!

tctractors
Flag: Great Britain

Post #62 by tctractors » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Hi there Ade, how are you gal' surely you must have a few pic's of your sadly late Dad that might interest the World in general, what are you doing on a construction forum Ade, I thought you would be looking at all the Equine sites for tips to make a Horse go faster?? ;) I still repair D8 tractors etc and Sue still sticks by me (I dont know why??) in a few months I will have been Married 36 years, anyhow back to talking about your good old Dad, when he was working for Brittania, you would think he worked for himself, dont take this the wrong way Ade, but if I ever thought of a "new fiddle" your dad had Done it 20 years ago, I sometimes go into a Construction parts place in Pershore, the owner would make you Cry laughing at some of your Dads antic's, he always talks about your Dad with hell of a smile on his face, obviously there was plenty of bonus had by the 2 of them putting their heads together??? anyhow I hope you are in good shape and enjoying every moment, there is a thought that you should not take Life to serious (is that how you spell it?)as No One gets out alive.

Great to see you posting on a " Construction Forum " Ade, I have seen a few pic's of your Dad when working for Dick, but sadly the photos were the Treasures of lads now along side him, he had a cracking Bristol Car mind, if you ever feel the daft need to call in Sue is on that Facetube thing.
lots of smiles tony coates

adetoon

Post #63 by adetoon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:08 am

McGrath wrote:Hi Peter, yes, I most certainly remember the name, but can't for the life of me but a face to it. As I keep reminding myself, it was 40 years ago! Could have been M4 lambourn, I was involved there during the second season after Ernei Walker moved on, leaving the Mad Monkk I.C. Likewise with Chudleigh and Taunton. Funny you mention Public Works,I spent a very short period with them in the late 70's, me and Mr Flynn just didn't hit it off, I had to go. He died April last year, God rest hims, great obiturary in the Irish Times. You also mention Brian Wells, wow, we first worked together back around 62 or 63 on Stonebridge and then at Llanndulis in North Wales. I seem to remember he had a place at Crymmych in wilds of Pembrokeshire. The last time I saw him was around 84 when he called in my Pub at Newbury. (I had the Lord Lyon at Stockcross for 11 years) If you do see Brian, please give him my regards. Cheers. Chris

Hi,
Ade Toon here, Arthur Toons daughter - Can you remember Arthur? - I know he was at Lambourne as I remember living in a caravan there for a short time as a nipper!!!
I can also remember that name "The Mad Monk" my dad often talked about him, he used to say he had a Jack Russel dog that he used to throw out of the window as he was driving along! I can hear my dad now roaring with laughter!!
We lived in a caravan in Angle Pembrokeshire, which I visited last year, could see the Power Station from Angle Beach!

I can remember Arthur used to take me to work with him sometimes & he put me on one of those big scrapers on his lap & I cryed & cryed & cryed!! - Ha ha

If you can remember anything about Arthur I would love to hear about it!!
Many thanks Ade (Toon) Peters

adetoon

Post #64 by adetoon » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:34 am

tctractors wrote:Hi there Ade, how are you gal' surely you must have a few pic's of your sadly late Dad that might interest the World in general, what are you doing on a construction forum Ade, I thought you would be looking at all the Equine sites for tips to make a Horse go faster?? ;) I still repair D8 tractors etc and Sue still sticks by me (I dont know why??) in a few months I will have been Married 36 years, anyhow back to talking about your good old Dad, when he was working for Brittania, you would think he worked for himself, dont take this the wrong way Ade, but if I ever thought of a "new fiddle" your dad had Done it 20 years ago, I sometimes go into a Construction parts place in Pershore, the owner would make you Cry laughing at some of your Dads antic's, he always talks about your Dad with hell of a smile on his face, obviously there was plenty of bonus had by the 2 of them putting their heads together??? anyhow I hope you are in good shape and enjoying every moment, there is a thought that you should not take Life to serious (is that how you spell it?)as No One gets out alive.

Great to see you posting on a " Construction Forum " Ade, I have seen a few pic's of your Dad when working for Dick, but sadly the photos were the Treasures of lads now along side him, he had a cracking Bristol Car mind, if you ever feel the daft need to call in Sue is on that Facetube thing.
lots of smiles tony coates

Hi Tony,
I saw your name & thought it couldn't possible be Tony Coates from Mitton!!!

I'm on here as I googled my Dad & his name came up in a reference on here! I do miss him terribly that old saying "once they are gone - they are gone" so true & now I wished I'd had more time to see him & listen to his tales - but always so busy & my wicked mother made him move away to Burnham & it always seemed such a trek, then he became poorly & died after four days - Gone as quick as that - BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
I dont have any photo's of those days at Hamptons or Brittania.. But I do have a photo of him with his dog from those days I may put up someone may remember him then!
He wrote a book that I found when sorting through his stuff which I am typing up, but it was his early years!!
He sold that Bristol a few years ago for the mere price of £3,000!! Funny enough I have just put some Bristol cylinder liners on ebay that I found in my shed - Dad gave me them years ago to sell!

I bet you didn't know I have two half brothers from my Dad's side!! Both live in Crawley area & both into Construction.. He lost touch with them & they tracked him down 35yrs later - that was a shock I can tell you!!!

My Dad knew every trick in the book as you say & I hope I'm a chip of the old block

36yrs Well done & happy anniversary - I think I'm friends with Sue on Facebook - I'm friends with Gary!!!

Where is this place in Pershore then? I live in Winchcombe have done for the past 20yrs..

Great to hear from you! Ade x

poncho

Post #65 by poncho » Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Ade. What a surprise, My muck shifting name is Poncho, I worked with Arther on Hamptons and like Tony on Britannia, Got on well with him though we did have words now and then as you do. I and I am sure most of the old muck shifters on line who knew and worked with him will be deeply saddend to hear of his passing. Please pass my regards to your wicked Mother, and I hope she is well. I live just outside Gloucester. I spend a fair bit of time at alstone not far from you where I share a cider orchard with a friend as we brew our own scrumpy, a taste I aquired from Sheppys when I worked on the M5 at Taunton. Regards Poncho.

tctractors

Post #66 by tctractors » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi again Ade, the man in Pershore was (on second thoughts I will p.m. you with this detail) as I dont want any Back-Blasts??, your Dad was well known for fixing everything but Brittania kit, all the blokes on the sites would bring their cars to site for repairs and MOT tests, even the site managers would have him sort their familys cars etc, because of this he would get away with Murder, for every tenner that Brittania paid him a week he would earn more from " Arthur Toon Site repares and fiddles Inc' " I once travelled to Swindon?? to fix an RB150?? hydraulic excavator for Brittania getting paid by a Tipper Hire Firm who your dad was doing a job on the side for?? it was like a Basil Faulty Panto??, I think it was Gordon Kyte that told me about your Dad moving South, I also thought the Hotel or B&B thing sounded a bit off, but I might have just managed to get things confused as I am a bit Thick, the sad thing is so many other people that worked with your Dad in the Hampton days are also just a Glowing memory in my mind, Nevil Folly and Albert Goodall always said " Arthur was Sound" thats how they spat things out with Sound meaning in their diction "Diamond quality" this might not impress many but to get the " Sound " with your name near or before was not the common thing off these lads R.A.F. comes to mind (nothing to do with Aircraft), there is still a few old boys about that might have some pics to make you smile, I will ask about.

tony,

larry Piggott

Post #67 by larry Piggott » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:10 pm

Great photos. Reminds me of a TS14 running over a Willetts Landrover on the Tunbridge bypass in 70. Never did find out which one was the culprit

viking

Post #68 by viking » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:28 pm

hi peter scougfield if you read this please get in contackt you are a harburmaster in suth wales ok i am danish bacon alias verner kristensen we used to work together on 637 and ts 24 for dick hampton my email is viking62@live.com or look on facebook for my name

peter s

Post #69 by peter s » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Carl, dont think iv heard anything from you since Taunton in 74, I tried to get a message on here a couple of weeks ago but I failed to get it up on the screen the problem is Im no
good at driving these things anyway, the letters keep disapearing when Im trying to write. You will have to tell us all what you have been up to and who with since then. I stayed on the roads till 1990 and then went full time on a fishing trawler that I had bought a couple of years before and had a crew running it for me. I sold it in 96 during the Sea Empress oil disaster and took the job Im doing now.Will catch you again later.

taurus MK1

Post #70 by taurus MK1 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:55 pm

:wave: Hi all came across this photo in an old book, might be of interest, sorry about quality but you can click on to enlarge.

Cheers John :rockon:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Scrapers”