TEREX TS24C on M40 construction

Discuss scrapers here

Iain M

Re: TEREX TS24C on M40 construction

Post #11 by Iain M » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:27 am

Blondie was a decent guy, good driver on 24's but a fitters nightmare, could have you running around like a blue arse fly. Your right he was usually kept on during Winter, spent most of his driving days with Tarmac. Before he got the 24C he was always drove fleet number 16, a B10, one of only 2 Tarmac had.

Dowsett Boy

Post #12 by Dowsett Boy » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:43 pm

Iain M did you know Watty Jackson foreman fitter on Tarmac Earthmoving Division .
Several other names from the past Rod Woodgate Alan Webster and black John Griffin not his race but his state of dress.

Iain M

Post #13 by Iain M » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:14 am

Yeah, work with Watty on many jobs (top bloke, good fitter and a good mate of mine), M54, M40, Stud Farm, Cliffe Hill plus others. Rod Woodgate was a character, always remember he had a GREAT????? time with his Wife, jesus she could swear better than me, Alan Webster worked with him on M42, he jacked and went off to some crowd near his home, he is now in UAE with Carillion i believe, i just missed him, he started at the end of August and i left UAE at the same time. Black John doesnt ring a bell, new a guy called Black Harry at Blackwells. Did you ever come across Alan Bamford, Harry Kyle, Willie Forbes, Willy Webster, with Tarmac, and the Plant Managers Fred Staples, John Anderson, KERR !!!!!,

Dowsett Boy

Post #14 by Dowsett Boy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:35 pm

Know Watty very well his son Kev lodged with my mum when we both worked for Dowsetts .
Got sacked for hitting Woodgate he drove through great big puddle and soaked me deliberately laughing as he went(I was young and daft).It didnt do me any harm as when I went for the start at Dowsetts the plant manager shook my hand and said he had his fill of him on Gleesons a few years before.You might know my late father Charlie Green he worked for Tarmacs for years heard him mention Anderson and Bamford.
Was Jimmy topsoiler Miller there when you were there.
Top man was Watty heard he was living in Spain occasionally see his son as he lives locally.
Woodgates wife did occasionally not swear but only occasionally she used to refer to him as f*(^king Woodgate.

Iain M

Post #15 by Iain M » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:58 am

Yes of course i knew your old man. Met Kev a few times, but spent more time with his softer son Gary... he was a greaser for me on many jobs, last time i saw him he was with a forklift crowd had a good job, was a pretty good fitter at the end, he must have got it off his old man. Cant recall Jimmy Miller, what jobs was he on. I worked with the likes off Tudor Griffin, Sackem, Biff, Brownbridge, Jock Carrol, Goergous George( never knew why they called him that) Fozzie, Moonraker, Crazy Horse, Chyanne, 5 Mill Bob, Pat Phillips, Billy Geary, Teddy Mgeedy and his brother John and Billy, ect all great blokes. Last i heard of Watty he was in Spain, must be a good old age now, he was always 55 as long as i knew him. Dont get chance to see any of these guys now as i live down under. Last time i saw Woodgate he was working for Paddy Forker in Dudley, not sure what happen to his wife, probably landed a role in a Hollywood Blockbuster!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dowsett Boy

Post #16 by Dowsett Boy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:00 pm

Some names from the past Billy Geary do you remember his saying was "let me tell you" he was a sound skin .
Moonraker my father took him under his wing and they were good mates.Never forget Moonraker,Kev Jackson and myself were in pub in Hythe when a local started acting the tough guy.He informed Moonraker he was a boxer to which Moonraker replied with a face like that not a very good one.The whole bar broke out into laughter as the supposed tough guy left.Last I heard of the Moonraker he had a few bits of plant down Devon.I remember Tim Brownbridge believe he came from Bellingham were his family had a pub.
Jimmy Miller was EMD plant manager on the M20 but Watty ran the show.Jimmy Miller got his nickname topsoiler due to an accident of a personal nature at his digs.
Next time I bump into Kev will find about Watty and let you know.

nick lamb

Post #17 by nick lamb » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:33 pm

I worked with a few of the McGeady's(Teddy,John and I bought a scraper of Billy).Billy's still about somewhere,can't say about John and Teddy's on a 631 for God!.
As for Billy Geary,I worked with Billy jnr on and off for a good few years up untill his tragic end in 2004 whilst he was on for McArdles.
Here's a pic of Billy back in 1994 at Gretna Green.He was running some of my kit up there for Wimpey.
you can just see him with his head under the bonnet of the back engine.We painted his name on the front for the crack as he was fond of Terex's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SRB
Flag: Great Britain

Post #18 by SRB » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:55 pm

Spotted this gal parked up at Rugeley powerstation today.........

SB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
He who hingeth aboot, getteth hee-haw

nick lamb

Post #19 by nick lamb » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:57 pm

One of my customers was in the yard on sat.He drives one of three D9L's at Fiddlers Ferry power station near me.He says they still run a few TS40B's allthough they have replaced the Detroits with something else(he didn't know what).I worked along side them in 1984 and they're still going.

Jeremy Rowland

Post #20 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:13 pm

nick lamb wrote:One of my customers was in the yard on sat.He drives one of three D9L's at Fiddlers Ferry power station near me.He says they still run a few TS40B's allthough they have replaced the Detroits with something else(he didn't know what).I worked along side them in 1984 and they're still going.

Probably 14 litre Cummins NT great engine which is a shame because although you cannot fault the Cummins I think the Detroits sound great, mind its probably the noise thats condemmed em.

Jeremy

Return to “Scrapers”