The two D8's move in and make a start

Discuss scrapers here

DozerDave

Re: The two D8's move in and make a start

Post #21 by DozerDave » Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:19 pm

Absolutely Splendid photos Dave!! Those pictures bring back nostalgic memories! If not for a JCB Fastrac and modern white van in the background of some of them, they could have been taken from the bygone 60`s and 70`s. Lovely D8 examples and a total credit to the owner!! :thumbs_up:

Topic author
yellowiron

Post #22 by yellowiron » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:17 pm

Thanks Dave, I have tried to tidy them up a bit,

heres one for you :thumbs_up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Martyn Henley
Flag: Great Britain

Post #23 by Martyn Henley » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:27 pm

Great pics Dave ..spot on with the black an white .. :thumbs_up:

Martyn

DozerDave

Post #24 by DozerDave » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:56 pm

yellowiron wrote:Thanks Dave, I have tried to tidy them up a bit,

heres one for you :thumbs_up:

Ahhh, beautiful monochrome shot..........perfect!!!

Many thanks Dave.

Topic author
yellowiron

Now the D6C and D4D have joined to make it a proper vintage

Post #25 by yellowiron » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:00 pm

:lol: As Tesco says..............Every little helps! :thumbs_up:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
yellowiron

Post #26 by yellowiron » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:07 pm

Some more

nick lamb

Post #27 by nick lamb » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:41 pm

Tidy D6C Dave,Is it a 47J or 83A.It looks like an 83A.Did you get the D8 running yet with the valve problem?
Hope the weather holds down there for you. :thumbs_up:

Topic author
yellowiron

Post #28 by yellowiron » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:21 am

Yes Nicky, its a 47J. Its been residing at T&H plant for the past couple or three months where Dick has worked on it solid for all that time, he said it is the most abused and neglected Cat he has come across :dizzy: (Not by me I should add!) just had a full engine rebuild,rad core, all of one new final drive, now the torque converter is tired...so that will be next :cry:

Due to the wet weather, the 90 box is just too much of a handfull for the 22A, so tomorrow its coming off and a 435 takes its place..the topsoil is heavy clay type and is wet and tight and takes a lot of humping along.

The 128 winch has played up big time today on the 22A, the hoist side has been smoking hot and will either not pick the box up or not hold it up...I need to change it for a 29.

Topic author
yellowiron

Post #29 by yellowiron » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:32 am

Heavy clay topsoil

nick lamb

Post #30 by nick lamb » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:28 pm

Sorry to hear about the winch trouble.Make sure the 128 ccu has barely any oil in it.They blow seals easy if you have the correct oil level in it.It won't come to any harm with hardly any oil in it.You can almost run it dry.The drum may be warped.you can try swapping the hoist drum for the apron drum.The warped drum will be allright on the apron side.Also you would be amazed how much adjustment you can loose by having worn linkages.Try packing them out with shims or washers,then reset the winch.If that doesn't work my advice would be to scrap it .Don't spend any money on it.That type of winch is the best IF it's in deacent condition.Once it's set up it will work all season without adjustment(unless an 'expert driver' trys to adjust it to his personal taste).Stick a 29 on it if it's too hard to set it up.These type of winches aren't as good as the 128 but they are much easier to set and run.
I am sure with time and money that you could sort that 128 but you need to concentrate on shifting muck before the weather breaks for the year and not buggering about trying to sort that bas***d of a winch.Your muckshifting capacity is down 50% with that winch prob :( .
I have been down that road before...........
As for having to pull the 90 off the D8,don't worry as the 435 can move alot of muck in 12 hours.You can make money out of old kit by just keeping moving.A smaller box means less winch problems and less rope breaks which in turn means better productivity.Don't over fill the box either as it takes longer to fill the last couple of cube and you struggle to tip the load.Nothing slower than a 22A D8 having to stop and reverse the muck out of the box :( .
I guess you know all this Dave but it's some times hard to see it when you're in the thick of it all and the pressure's on.
Keep up the good work :thumbs_up:

Return to “Scrapers”