The good old iron versus the new stuff.

Discuss scrapers here

Topic author
Elfonz
Flag: Australia

The good old iron versus the new stuff.

Post #1 by Elfonz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:32 pm

Came across an interesting one on instagram.Some one posted a pic of a old 651b and said they were more a fan of the new than the old but appreciated the amount of work done by the old.
All other posts then put their views forward for and against.The one thing that cant be argued and all you have to do is check out the biggest contractors in the states for instance like Sukut,Independents and a few others who still have large fleets of 51bs moving big bcm
,s of dirt.The old gear can be rebuilt many times where as i not sure the Gs and Ks will be only time will tell.The main reason these contractors keep their old 51s is there is no faster way to move dirt than with 51s and D10s pushing them.Another criticism of the old gear was no cab and it would be rough to operate.Having been on old and new i can say a 57G is so much rougher than a 57E that its a joke and even a 51B is smother than a 51E.
Be interested to hear everyone else,s thoughts on this i know Cat have lost the plot on the power to weight ratio on new machines including dozers.Theyve made them lighter and given them more H.P which is why they are so much harder to operate.

modelman093
Flag: Great Britain

Re: The good old iron versus the new stuff.

Post #2 by modelman093 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:38 pm

That's an interesting observation. Here in the UK there are a number of contractors re-discovering the merits of tractors and boxes for short haul muck shifting - cut, carry, spread and compact - all with the same outfit. A few using elevating scrapers too!

Topic author
Elfonz
Flag: Australia

Re: The good old iron versus the new stuff.

Post #3 by Elfonz » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:38 pm

Alot of contractors worldwide still use scrapers and here in Western Australia a few of the big contractors like Leightons and Thiess and a few others actually got rid of their scrapers and started useing diggers and dumpers for awhile.I think it finally sunk in after awhile that with a dozer having to level these loads as well they were useing and paying for three machines when if useing a scraper it does the job of the three other machines.Of course you have dam building and road construction where alot of the time you can only use scrapers.Over say the last ten or so years scrapers have made a return here which is great because some of the biggest fleets of scrapers are in Western Australia.

Return to “Scrapers”