TS24 8V-71 Help required

Discuss scrapers here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

TS24 8V-71 Help required

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Thu May 04, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi folks; I have just got back from Andrew Beaulah's as I have been carrying out some more resto work on my 580BT, Tim Brown has been helping Andrew get his Terex TS24 scraper into some sort of working order. The other day he went to dip the engine oil on the rear motor and found that the oil was full of diesel.
The engine is the Detroit V8-71 Series; these engines are similar to Cummins in that they use a third rocker lever to actuate the fuel injector so the fuel passes through the cylinder heads; the issue is that when the two rocker covers were removed and the engine was run, you could not see any visible evidence of diesel leaking into the oil?
The only thing we could pick up on was that the oil from the rocker levers splashed a bit more on the engines one bank of cylinders but there was as said above no easy visible sight of an internal fuel leak. Tim has already had the fuel pump off the machine and has checked it, there is no issue with it so any advice would be helpful. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul
Flag: Australia

Re: TS24 8V-71 Help required

Post #2 by Mrsmackpaul » Thu May 04, 2017 11:52 pm

sounds like one of the pipes that feeds the injectors is leaking or has a cracked nut this is the only spot the fuel and oil can mix on this style of GM that I know of

Paul
Your better to die trying than live on your knees begging

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 05, 2017 7:36 am

Thanks Paul; yes that had crossed my mind as had a bad injector but perhaps the main issue here is trying to find out which one is the culprit as you cannot visibly see the diesel leak. :thumbup:

Jeremy

essexpete

Post #4 by essexpete » Fri May 05, 2017 9:31 am

Would there be anyway of breaking into the system to pressurise with an airline?

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #5 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 05, 2017 10:37 am

essexpete wrote:Would there be anyway of breaking into the system to pressurise with an airline?

Pete I'm not sure if this can easily be accomplished; if it was a big Cummins it would not have been an issue but I'm no expert on Detroit Diesels and am just trying to see if anybody out there who used to work on them can offer some advice that I can pass on to Tim. :thumbup:

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul

Post #6 by Mrsmackpaul » Fri May 05, 2017 1:13 pm

Well dunno what happened here I typed a big reply but must not of posted it

Anyway on the blower side of the head there should be two allen key grub screws for each cylinder, on the rear of the head should be the fuel supply and return lines for each head, the upper one I think by memory is the fuel supply rail and the lower is the fuel return rail
disconnect the pipes and put I think 3/8 UNC ?? bolt in one and a air line fitting in the other and pressurize the fuel rails maybe get a squirter bottle with some soapy water and you should soon see the leak I would think

Paul

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 05, 2017 1:46 pm

Mrsmackpaul wrote:Well dunno what happened here I typed a big reply but must not of posted it

Anyway on the blower side of the head there should be two allen key grub screws for each cylinder, on the rear of the head should be the fuel supply and return lines for each head, the upper one I think by memory is the fuel supply rail and the lower is the fuel return rail
disconnect the pipes and put I think 3/8 UNC ?? bolt in one and a air line fitting in the other and pressurize the fuel rails maybe get a squirter bottle with some soapy water and you should soon see the leak I would think

Paul

Thanks Paul I will pass this info on perhaps Tim can devise a way to pressure test the system.

Jeremy

FOWLER MAN
Flag: Wales

Post #8 by FOWLER MAN » Sat May 06, 2017 2:00 am

Mrsmackpaul wrote:Well dunno what happened here I typed a big reply but must not of posted it

Paul

Makes sense Paul, :thumbup:
As you say the fuel rails are cast into the head, if I remember rightly there is a restrictor in the return line connection to help maintain fuel pressure in the rails.
There is nowhere else apart from the fuel lines in the rocker cover or the fuel pump where it can leak out as far as I can see. :think:

Is the engine running ok apart from this problem :?: Is there a chance that one or more cylinders are not burning the fuel :?: That may dilute the crank case oil :?:
Don't disturb the fuel injector timing or rack settings unless you know what you are doing. I used to have a kit in a wallet for setting it all up, there was a timing tool, a depth gauge, a selection of go and no go feeler gauges and more.
Apart from setting the rack in each injector and checking that didn't upset those previously set after each one, you had to balance the two banks and it could take hours of careful concentration to get it all right.
I did a five day course on these in 1969 and I rebuilt a few 6 and 8-71s.they were brilliant engines. :thumbup: I had one break a sleeve right round the middle where the exhaust ports are.
I know it sounds primitive but they reckoned that the best way to check that all cylinders were fuelling equally after setting up was to run the engine with no exhaust manifolds and check the soot deposit on white cards held across the exhaust ports. :doh:
Definitely a job for ear muffs. :dizzy:

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat May 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Thanks Fred :wave: yes the engine was running fine until this issue; I will pass on what has been said by others here to Tim and see if he can locate the faulty pipes/injector?
Fred if it was say for example caused by a cracked injector then I trust that all of the injectors on that bank of the engine would need setting up? I have never setup a Detroit, if it was a Cummins then yes no problem I have the tools to set those up but not the Detroit.

Jeremy

Mrsmackpaul

Post #10 by Mrsmackpaul » Sun May 07, 2017 12:43 am

Fred the restrictor is a fitting with a hole thats I think from memory 79 thou
I use a vernier to set the injector heights as I dont have the proper tools and it seems to work fine
I am not trained at all on any of this but self taught so maybe not listen to much to what I say because it wont match GM's work shop manuals :oops:

But these can be set up with fairly normal work shop tools and made to run good or at least good enough for me and it does take me some time as well

Some blokes reckon they can tune these motors in a hour or so, it takes me longer to clean the oil and crap off the motor because most times they are one hell of a mess

Jeremy you only need to set the one crook injector, the governor shouldnt need changing they are fairly simple motor to work on and tune

Paul

Return to “Scrapers”