Preserved Oldies

Discuss heavy haulage here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Preserved Oldies

Post #1 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 11, 2008 5:00 pm

Hi Folks well I snapped these in WestBrom park today. First up we have a Ford D series tractor unit, I can remember riding in the Ford D series that C. Penns used to run they were powered by the same Ford engine that can be found in the 580C only difference it used to lie on its side in the D series. They also had one D series that was powered by a Cummins vee 8 sounded lovely but thats about all :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Preserved Oldies

Post #2 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 11, 2008 5:08 pm

Next up we have a 180 Gardner powered Guy (yuG) BigJ4T. I suspect this vehicle was re-registered cos I'm sure Guy had disappeared by 1984 I also know that Hymac occupied part of the Fallings Road site where Guy used to be either during the NEI era or the Brown era (might stand correcting on me facts here).
The Gardner power unit smashing :thumbs_up: the rest lets just say if you had worked on one :evil: :evil: :evil: grrrr :evil: grumble grumble.
Thats why we called em Yugs :lol:

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #3 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Last but not least this little Bedford CA van took me eye, can remember these as a kid. :thumbs_up:

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #4 by Neversweat » Sun May 11, 2008 6:04 pm

Nice looking classics :thumbs_up:

Make you feel old when you remember them new :D

Steve

bob
Flag: Great Britain

Post #5 by bob » Sun May 11, 2008 9:28 pm

Neversweat wrote:Nice looking classics :thumbs_up:

Make you feel old when you remember them new :D

Steve

Wish I could just remember them I have driven them new,drove the ford for a road surfacing firm had one on a tipper and one on tar tanker after driving leylands or a ford trader climb up to cab and sit on floor jobs the D series were lovely to drive the handbrake took some getting use to it was quiet to.
Couldn't get my hgv under grandfathers rights as I was driving before the dates which applied
Bob

davej

Post #6 by davej » Mon May 12, 2008 11:05 pm

If i remember rightly, some had found 6-7 Guy Big J4-t's stored in a factory somewhere in the midlands, there was an article in truck & driver. firm had bought them unregistered parked em up and then slowly went bump or something

Dave
my mumblings and general witterings....http://normanshowse.blogspot.com/

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #7 by Jeremy Rowland » Fri May 23, 2008 12:38 am

Couldn't resist posting this classic Scammel that I snapped at SED on the Lighthouse stand. :P

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #8 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat May 31, 2008 8:16 pm

Well I came across this oldie still at work :o not bad for a forty year old truck.
Here we have a mark one Atkinson powered by a Gardner 6LX 150 bhp engine.
Many old trucks survive on fairground work as has this one, this machine strikes a chord in my heart because I've driven one just like it and worked on them. The Atki's were always good motors :thumbs_up: even though this one like the one I drove had no power steering :( believe me you had to stand up in the cab to get round some turns :lol:
Smashin motor anyways.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #9 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:52 pm

Hi Folks,

Here's a classic Scammell for you its a bonneted tractor unit powered by a trusty Gardner 6LX 150 engine and is painted in Wrekin Roadways livery.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #10 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi Folks,

Well its not every day you come across an AEC Mandator broken down by the roadside, but I came across this one today.
It had just been fixed and was about to be on its way again, I asked the owner if he was taking it to a show? Hey no he was just taking the kids for a ride out and why not? ;)

I can remember when these trucks were a common site on our roads, my friend Martin Dawson who let me post the pics of his Marathon on this site also used to drive AEC Mandators.
I only did a small amount of work on this type of truck as I've said before Seddon Atkinson was the main manufacturer who's trucks I used to work on.

Jeremy

Return to “Heavy Haulage”