Preserved Oldies

Discuss heavy haulage here

tim
Flag: Great Britain

Re: Preserved Oldies

Post #11 by tim » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:15 pm

Nice pic Jeremy this is a rare beast one of the legendary V8 Mandators of which around 360 were built.They were said to be capable of 80 mph with storming hill climbing ability,some who have driven them liken their performance to todays big Volvos and Scanias,and they were only 247hp. However they had reliability problems-big-end trouble amongst others ,and AEC bought many of them back from the bigger fleet users.One owner from Worcestershire said the V8's could get from his yard to Glasgow in one and a half hours less than his 6cyl Mandators :thumbs_up: Tim

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #12 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun May 10, 2009 5:39 pm

Tis that time of year again when Dartmouth park in West Bromwich hosts a classic/vintage vehicle parade, many motors there buses, bikes cars, trucks autojumble (rubbish to me and you) :lol: etc...etc....
Oh well here's just a few pics.....

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #13 by Jeremy Rowland » Mon May 25, 2009 9:41 pm

Here we have a classic ERF powered by the legendary Gardner 8LXB 240 engine, Fuller RTO9509A 9 speed gearbox and an Eaton single speed rear axle.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #14 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:48 am

Here's a few shots of a very nicely turned out ERF "A" series that was present at the S.E. Davis show yesterday.
It has a Cummins NHC220 engine a Fuller RTO 610 gearbox and a Kirkstall double reduction rear axle.
I will also be posting more shots of vehicles that were at this show.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #15 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:40 pm

Couldn't resist posting this pic of a Volvo F12 that had bought one of the steam traction engines along to the S.E. Davis show.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #16 by Jeremy Rowland » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:59 pm

There were a number of interesting trucks at the S.E. Davis show, amongst which were a fine example of a Scammell Commander and an old Scammell six wheel drive wrecker powered by a Gardner 6LW 20 engine (120bhp).
When you consider the size of the wrecker and its only powered by a 120 bhp engine, compared to todays trucks that have engines producing around 300-600 bhp its a wonder it ever got anywhere. :lol:

Jeremy

BulldozerD11

Post #17 by BulldozerD11 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:45 pm

Hi Jeremy some great photos you got there.
Like the Jensen thats different, not seen that yet. The Coal trucks an interesting exhibit I've seen at the CV show at Doinington Park, but is probably Unique as an exhibit.

I've just loaded some from SE Davis event of the Allelys trucks onto the page here - http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/allelys

one of Graham Booths (many) Heavy haulage collection an ex Pickfords Diamond T was also there. (there a whole load of Heavy haulers at Southport (riverside) steam rally earlier in the year.

Did you see the Black Minardi F1 team Volvo - on steam engine haulage duty.

Another unusual item was the flat front Albion (FT37 ? ) (one of several items not in the programme)
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #18 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:28 am

Hi Dave,

Yes mate I saw the Volvo looked quite neat I thought but didn't manage to get a snap of it, I did however get this pic of the flat fronted Albion which was not really in a good place to get pics of it, as indeed is much of the exhibits at Davis which are sadly rammed in tight into ever nook and cranny.

Jeremy

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #19 by John Gaunt » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:20 pm

The Scammel "Wrecker" is in fact a Scammel Explorer.
I have driven one of these off-road and I can tell you that it is absolutely incredible. Whilst not the fastest thing on 6 wheels, nor the ultimate in terms of engine HP, it will go where few if any other wheeled vehicles will go, certainly any of that weight and towing capacity. :thumbs_up:

DaveS

Post #20 by DaveS » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:37 pm

A lot of the Scammel's off-road capability comes, apart from being all-wheel drive, from the rocking beam rear end, which keeps all the wheels in contact with the ground in the strangest of situations. Wonder where Moxy got the idea .........

They also had band tracks which wrapped around the rear tyres giving a half-track set up when the going got real bad.

Were the originals not fitted with a Meadows petrol engine?

Dave. S.

Return to “Heavy Haulage”