Preserved Oldies

Discuss heavy haulage here

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Re: Preserved Oldies

Post #21 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:33 pm

John you are quite correct it is indeed a Scammell Explorer, I have been inside the cab of one of these years ago and it was also Gardner 120 powered I seam to recall that it had a "gate" for gearchanging which is the first and only time I have seen that.
Perhaps Meadows petrol engines were fitted to some Scammells but they would not have the same torque or economy of the trusty Gardner or reliability for that matter.
The two pics I'm now posting are of a Rolls powered Foden 4400 which I also saw last time I visited Davis.

Jeremy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Gaunt
Flag: Great Britain

Post #22 by John Gaunt » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:50 pm

Yes, The Scammel explorer (as well as the older 'bonneted' Scammel artics had the 'gate' gearchange.
I'm not sure why they designed them like that, but a consequence was that you have to go through every gear both on the way down as well as on the way up!
Does anyone know why they had the 'gate' gearchange?

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #23 by Jeremy Rowland » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:36 pm

John Gaunt wrote:Yes, The Scammel explorer (as well as the older 'bonneted' Scammel artics had the 'gate' gearchange.
I'm not sure why they designed them like that, but a consequence was that you have to go through every gear both on the way down as well as on the way up!
Does anyone know why they had the 'gate' gearchange?

Yes John I'm pretty sure that was the first type of gearchange design and you are quite correct that you have no choice but to go through every gear to navigate the gate and complete a full gear change.
I've heard old fitters talking about such gear changes and timing your change was crucial specially when negotiating steep inclines.

Jeremy

BulldozerD11

Post #24 by BulldozerD11 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:50 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Hi Dave,

Yes mate I saw the Volvo looked quite neat I thought but didn't manage to get a snap of it, I did however get this pic of the flat fronted Albion which was not really in a good place to get pics of it, as indeed is much of the exhibits at Davis which are sadly rammed in tight into ever nook and cranny.

Jeremy

I've posted the Volvo in the SE Davis thread. The Albion was down in the field on sunday with the other commercials

Heres a couple of pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Interested in Tractors, Plant, Heavy Haulage or Steam visit http://tractors.wikia.com/wiki/Tractor_%26_Construction_Plant_Wiki
Help document every manufacturer model build, and record every machine in preservation, clubs and events etc.

Lars-Gunnar
Flag: Sweden

Post #25 by Lars-Gunnar » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:56 pm

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Couldn't resist posting this pic of a Volvo F12 that had bought one of the steam traction engines along to the S.E. Davis show.

Jeremy

The Volvo F12 has become a legendary truck in Sweden and everywhere around the world. In the North of Sweden we have a mining village called Boliden. There is Boliden AB as a mining limited company. There they break iron ore. Near the Östersjö sea is a town called Rönnskär where the smelting plant can be found. The company bought some 3-whelaxle Volvo F12 Intercooler with 5-wheelaxle trailer many, many ear ago. These truck and trailers carry 60 ton both way. One Volvo reached 1.000.000 million Swedish mil. The truck had been driven day and night summer as winter 365 days/year

The only service this truck had got was change of oil, and other parts as was normal when they had it in for service. No stops of any cause or broken down had happen.

The technicians from Volvo had it in the chop and took out the motor and mounted a new one. Then they mounted down the 1 million motor for analyse. They could only find normal wear and tear. This motor has now been placed in Volvos museum I think.

Lars-Gunnar :)
AMD computers and Volvo trucks is best

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #26 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:44 am

Some nice facts there Lars the F12 was an excellent truck like most of Volvo's products which reminds me that I have spotted one in a local yard thats just stood there rotting away :cry: must try and get a snap of it.
Both Volvo and Scania have made superb trucks which have made it very tough on the competition and contributed to the demise of British made trucks.
I recently heard that a similar situation is now starting in the USA where European made trucks are making inroads into the American truck market.
I think that both Volvo and Scania have got their product quality right and although I am a big fan of old British built trucks I would only be kidding myself if I said they were half as good as a Swedish built truck.

Jeremy

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #27 by Jeremy Rowland » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:44 pm

Sometimes in life you come across things on your own doorstep that you were not aware of and today was no exception because by chance I came across the "Gardner Engine Rally" by the Parkhead locks and Dudley canal tunnel.
This event has been held here on a number of occasions, todays event attracted a few commercial vehicles that I am posting pics of and a few stationary engine exhibits together with quite a few Gardner powered canal boats.
Pity about the weather it peed down so I'm sorry if some of the pics appear a bit dark.

Jeremy

Lars-Gunnar
Flag: Sweden

Post #28 by Lars-Gunnar » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:33 am

Jeremy Rowland wrote:Some nice facts there Lars the F12 was an excellent truck like most of Volvo's products which reminds me that I have spotted one in a local yard thats just stood there rotting away :cry: must try and get a snap of it.
Both Volvo and Scania have made superb trucks which have made it very tough on the competition and contributed to the demise of British made trucks.
I recently heard that a similar situation is now starting in the USA where European made trucks are making inroads into the American truck market.
I think that both Volvo and Scania have got their product quality right and although I am a big fan of old British built trucks I would only be kidding myself if I said they were half as good as a Swedish built truck.

Jeremy

Off topic!

Jeremy, and your contrymen you should be proud of what the Brittish producers of different makes have done. They have somtimes been before its time on some tecnical products. Scamell has long been a mysterious truck for me because its little engine but heavy pull of 100-200 ton on many wheels. When we in Sweden struggle with too small trucks 1930 we bought Torneycroft, Leyland, AEC and smaller trucks to work for us. The Thorneycroft was used in heavy haulage when we were building our wather power plants. These trucks was heawy and powerful. They had to pull very heavy transformers and turbins. Scania have Leyland to thank for their today diesel engines. Leyland was a large producer of busses and helped Scania-Vabis with the tecnic of back mounted engines I think.

The AEC was used to haul trainwaggons. Se this link and you understand: http://www.mrw1.se/byggtips/byggtips3a.htm Scroll down. :thumbs_up: They could pull 40 tons and was driven on all wheels. Scania-Vabis and Volvo could not compete.

I have read of it in Scanias 100 year jubileum book.

And last but not smallest, when I personally look att all beautifully restored lorries there are in England I take my hat off in all respect for the good lorrymakers and their emloyed wokers as have done a very, very good job to satisfie sellers, buyers and users. And you have grown up with various makes and it is natural you like them. I like Volvo but not of today rather from the past. A Volvo Titan 150 Hp from 1954 can get my mouth to reach my ear. That truck had a long hood and manual gearbox and was powerful of its time. Nowadays all trucks seems as they were dipt from same form.

Lars-Gunnar :)

Back to topic!
AMD computers and Volvo trucks is best

Neversweat
Flag: Great Britain

Post #29 by Neversweat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Smashing pics :thumbs_up: keep it up :D

Steve

Topic author
Jeremy Rowland

Post #30 by Jeremy Rowland » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:32 pm

Today there was a small display of old wartime military vehicles in Dudley town centre with a much larger display on tomorrow at Himley Hall.
I took a couple of pics or so but this 1943 Scammell Pioneer caught my eye, apparently its just been over to France to celebrate part of the D Day landings.

Jeremy

Return to “Heavy Haulage”